Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Rehearsal Dinner

no avatar
User

Lori M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:48 pm

East-End

Rehearsal Dinner

by Lori M » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Yes, I have done a search on Rehearsal dinners...but still need advice.

Rehearsal dinner, Friday night, early August, about 60 to 70 people. The wedding is very nice Country Club buffet-style on Saturday evening, so I guess I don't want to have two semi-formal dinners in a row (do I?)

I would like to keep it low-key (in other words...can I just show up too?), so, no backyard shindig (I think I will have enough stress).

But, an issue to be factored into this, the bride and groom have requested no alcohol to be served (reception and rehearsal dinner). I fear that most restaurants it might be hard to control that issue.

Any advice, ideas? Thanks!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:56 pm

You're correct in pointing out that going to a restaurant is going to prevent problems for the alcohol issue since most (all that I know of) atleast have it available on site.

I don't know how large of home you have (or could borrow from a friend) but have you considered having a barbecue catered? There are several great local places that could cater a great meal for you and the price would be very reasonable. You might even be able to rent a club house someplace if you felt uncomfortable or stressed doing it in a home. I've been to several rehearsal dinners and even wedding receptions that were barbecues or pig pickings and everyone had fun at all of them!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

by Steve Shade » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Lori McAtee wrote:Yes, I have done a search on Rehearsal dinners...but still need advice.

Rehearsal dinner, Friday night, early August, about 60 to 70 people. The wedding is very nice Country Club buffet-style on Saturday evening, so I guess I don't want to have two semi-formal dinners in a row (do I?)

I would like to keep it low-key (in other words...can I just show up too?), so, no backyard shindig (I think I will have enough stress).

But, an issue to be factored into this, the bride and groom have requested no alcohol to be served (reception and rehearsal dinner). I fear that most restaurants it might be hard to control that issue.

One word ..... ELOPE
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

by MichelleS » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:30 pm

No booze?!?

I would totally take my gift back if I went to a wedding with no booze.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Rent a nice hall or home....have it catered.
no avatar
User

Lori M

{ RANK }

Foodie

East-End

by Lori M » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 pm

They are beyond the idea of eloping (although they have had their moments!)

As far as the 'booze'; I admire their stance, and hopefully, people can refrain/restrain themselves for the evening....as it is THEIR wish. And therefore, I will honor their wish, on their day.
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by MichelleS » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:42 pm

I stayed drunk through my whole wedding back in May. In fact, I'm still drunk now.

What's the budget for the dinner? I think BBQ in a park would be fantastic, but I was pretty casual with my own stuff.

Where is the church? Do you want to keep it close?
Last edited by MichelleS on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Lori McAtee wrote:Yes, I have done a search on Rehearsal dinners...but still need advice.

Le Gallo Rosa off Bardstown Road
they don't serve alcohol, but allow byob. If they want it they can bring it and you are off the hook. Place is casual, just don't know if they will allow you to reserve the space.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Lori M

{ RANK }

Foodie

East-End

by Lori M » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Budget...good question.

One venue I looked at told me a minimum of about $2000... for the exclusive use of the entire room, the food (cold appetizers, 2 entree hot meal, vegetables, salad, starch, beverages), staff (extra gratuity appreciated), etc.

Pros: location is great, I won't have to do a thing, I know it is will be pretty much perfect. The alcohol is a non-issue. What could go wrong?

Cons: Price. A bit more formal than I wanted for the event. Did I mention price?

So, what is the budget? Well, thinking of feeding and 'entertaining' 60 some-odd people, I don't know.... what should I spend? I know that they say when there is less drinking (in this case, none), there is more eating.

I really think it is nuts to even think about spending that kind of money for one night. Especially when that isn't even the BIG event. Or am I just living in the dark ages?

I have thought of using our home. Afterall, we did do it for high school graduations.......but I also remember how I stressed over it too. Unless I totally LET GO and found a caterer who just 'does it all'.

Help. I'll check back tomorrow.
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by MichelleS » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:04 pm

I really think it is nuts to even think about spending that kind of money for one night. Especially when that isn't even the BIG event. Or am I just living in the dark ages?

Oh no, I am with you on this, but then I did my wedding on the cheap (except for the open bar.) I really think that you can do this on $15 a head and maybe even less. You should easily be able to feed this group for $1000.

What part of town do you need?

An actual restaurant that has some banquet space usually won't even charge you room rental. [/quote]
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi Lori!

I actually have some advice on this topic. We didn't have an issue of not wanting alcohol, but rather didn't want to exclude people who were from out of town. That sounds like a lot of people for a rehearsal dinner, so I'm wondering if there are a lot of out of town guests? What we did was rent a conference room in the hotel where everyone was staying, which was the Courtyard Marriott in Springhurst. I negotiated $100 for the room, and we had Jucy's BBQ cater the food, which was very reasonable, and we brought in the drinks, ice, etc., which would be soft drinks in your case. Courtyard moved the tables around the way I wanted, put table cloths on the tables (they were linen and came with the room), and between Jucy's and friends, we set up the rest. I was the bride, and did just showed up, but it wasn't an incredible amount of work for any of my family/friends who helped. I still to this day am so thankful to Courtyard, Jucy's, and just the idea, because I was so pleased with our rehearsal dinner. Having so many people out of town made it difficult to exclude people simply because they didn't have a formal role in our special day, and this idea allowed everyone to socialize in a more relaxed environment. I would recommend the general idea to anyone looking at wedding rehearsal ideas. We still reflect on it with the most positive of memories, and our guests have told us the same.

BBQ is a great casual fare, and a reasonably affordable way to feed so many people, but many caterers could accomodate this type of environment. Personally, although we had a rather formal wedding, we still wanted to incorporate good bbq, as we both feel it is something special and heartfelt when done right. This is more about the thought of the venue though - it leaves you with more catering options of you own, potentially very reasonable rental cost, and limits the availability of alcohol sales (someone could still go to the front desk and get cold beer from their cooler for a price if they really wanted). But it gives more control in general.

Hope that helps!
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:11 am

As a minister I go to lots of rehearsal dinners. This might sound odd, but Huber's Winery has great reception rooms and a wide range of items that can be served. Nice place and you don't have to serve alcohol. The fact that it's on the same locale as the winery doesn't mean that people have to drink. They actually do a nice job there.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:23 am

I am a musician, and do about 50 weddings plus per year. The best rehearsal dinner I EVER saw was one where the host ( mother of groom)put balloons in the basement, put out plastic plates and invited alll her friends to help by bringing a pot luck dish. About 30 women showed up with an array of favorite recipes which was incredible. Best food I've ever seen....and amazing fun. Nobody was stressed and the friends were happy to be able to actually "DO" something.
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:45 am

Linda C wrote:I am a musician, and do about 50 weddings plus per year. The best rehearsal dinner I EVER saw was one where the host ( mother of groom)put balloons in the basement, put out plastic plates and invited alll her friends to help by bringing a pot luck dish. About 30 women showed up with an array of favorite recipes which was incredible. Best food I've ever seen....and amazing fun. Nobody was stressed and the friends were happy to be able to actually "DO" something.

I was at a similar rehearsal dinner once and I agree that it's a great idea.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:59 am

Lori,
You might want to do it at the church and have it catered. You could get a place like Jucy's that would do it inexpensively.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
Next