Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Northern Italian in Louisville

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:23 pm

What's everybody's opinion regarding the best northern Italian food in Louisville? There are lots of choices, some good, some bad plus a load of in between restaurants in our opinion. We are going to go out to dinner with some friends who grew up in Rochester New York like I did and we decided we want to go to a good Italian restaurant. None of us want even include Vincenzo's in the discussion for various reasons. We discussed The Italian Table but obviously there's not a variety of menu selections to choose from there.

Looking for a place that has a choice of veal, pasta, etc.

I like to hear other people's opinions.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Northern Italian in Louisville

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:32 pm

I think our favorite Italian restaurant at this time is Volare'. Not as fancy as some of the other places, but laid back, and consistently good.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:19 pm

I'm not sure "Northern" Italian gets much play any more, Mark. That's what we called Italy-style Italian back in the day when Louisville didn't have anything but family-style Italian-American. But I'd say Volare is certainly a contender, Porcini is, too, and both Ciao and Sarino are in the race.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm not sure "Northern" Italian gets much play any more, Mark. That's what we called Italy-style Italian back in the day when Louisville didn't have anything but family-style Italian-American. But I'd say Volare is certainly a contender, Porcini is, too, and both Ciao and Sarino are in the race.

Thanks for the suggestions Robin, obviously Volare was on our list and we had talked about Porcini but we hadn't thought about the other 2. What you know about Amici, a friend suggested that. We love the food at Milantoni and certainly would consider going there but we are looking for something a little more upscale.

Growing up in Rochester we had great Italian food everywhere, didn't really call it northern Italian because that's what everything was or so I learned after getting out of the world.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"