Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

jimmy buffet, beer

no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

jimmy buffet, beer

by Shawn Vest » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:29 pm

ok i just tried the latest beer from my AB rep
it appears that jimmy buffet has gone to AB and asked them to brew this beer for him
LANDSHARK LAGER

ohh, this isn't beer it is water

i expected very little from this light golden lager and received even less

there is less flavor than miller high life and slightly more flavor than tap water

another awful beer from AB

and i'm honestly too scared to try the other sample i received
the clamato beer
clam and tomato juice with beer

has anyone had either of these beverages??
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

by Caleb Weber » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:48 pm

i've had the landshark and it sucks. i don't think its very new, however. krogers has been selling it for the better part of a year now.
i haven't had the other, but i don't see how it could possibly be good.
it taste like a even worse version of corona or negro modelo especial.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/landshark-lager/68574/
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:16 pm

We tasted it when it came out last year. Not good at all and more expensive than other similarly watered down beers.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:32 am

i guess i haven't been paying attention to the lagers at the grocery
and the clamato thing is just plain scary,
has anyone tried regular "clamato juice"?

what should i be looking for in the flavors?
clam broth and tomato juice, any clue as to how this became popular as a mixer for beer?
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:52 am

I tried Sam Adams with clamato courtesy of a very good friend years ago. Seriously, this guy appreciated high caliber indulgences. He always had a keg of BBC APA on hand to sip on in his rural home near Taylorsville and eventually become David Pierce's right hand man years ago for a stint. I preface with this because the man's taste was right on and trustworthy, and I LOVED the beer cocktail. He never offered it again on future visits and I forgot for years to buy the juice and try it again. They say your taste buds change every so often, (I've heard 6, 7, 9, etc..). About a year ago I brought some to my extremely open-minded brother-in-law and sampled with him. We both agreed on it's foulness as it hit the drain (we seriously couldn't pour it out fast enough). I also used to really like lager and tomato juice on an airplane but the last time I tried, I didn't care for it. My taste buds are changed (not evolved fyi - I grew up with exotic food exposure). We are all so individual and shouldn't be afaid to try new things, or retry things once disliked.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:40 am

I'm not a beer aficionado but even I found the Buffet beer a waste of time.
As far as clamato juice I love it. I like an occasional beer and tomato juice too so I's be willing to try a clamato/beer beverage.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:06 am

The beer and tomato juice thing is a very hispanic way to drink your beer. Tomato juice and any combination of lime juice, green olives, clamato, worchester, maggi sauce or hot sauce and beer. AB is not the first brewer to offer this, and I'm sure won't be the last. It is commonly referred to as a cerveza preparada or a michelada cubana and is often "on the menu" in much of the southwest and southern California. I had my first one in Texas many years ago.

It's similar to a Bloody Mary only with beer instead of vodka.

I find it no more or less disgusting than a Bloody Mary or a bourbon and Coke or a screwdriver.... tequila sunrise, appletini.... etc. etc. etc.
Last edited by Chris M on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Beer & Clamato juice

by TanyaD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:43 am

On another forum, this combo was recently discussed, and allgedly it's also called a "Bloody Beer" and is extremely popular in Canada.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:18 pm

thanks for the info

very interesting stuff
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699