Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Thoughts on the Omni Hotel

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Thoughts on the Omni Hotel

by James Natsis » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:46 pm

I made it to the Omni this evening and hung around for about an hour just walking around and talking to a few people. It seemed pretty busy with a VIP function and people like the mayor and Papajohn among others coming in around the same time as me.

Let's face it--this place is a gamechanger. Make no mistake about it. People were gawking all over the place. I spoke to a couple from Atlanta here for a wedding. They specifically wanted to stay at an Omni Hotel noting that there was one in Atlanta, but it was kind of old.

There is a certain panache and grandeur that is unmatched here in Louisville. That place clocks in at north of $300 million and it shows--total class. The food and beverage options under one roof are also unmatched in their range. The market is like a mini-mall with choices that are very reasonably priced for the average bloke. There is something for everyone, which was also noted by some of the employees I spoke with--hyper expensive and posh food and boutique items, down to regular priced items for the commoner like myself. It also carries a Louisville/Kentucky/Bourbon cachet that was well thought-out. I was simply awestruck by the whole package.

Let's just say in closing that Louisville just graduated from middle school and had its first day in high school as of Tuesday's grand opening of the Omni. (and that part of 2nd St's level of traffic will likely never be the same either for that matter!). There is simply no telling what impact it will have on the downtown. But it certainly will be noticeable in one way or another.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Thoughts on the Omni Hotel

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:52 pm

While we agree about the Omni's food options and architecture, I think it gives Louisville a range of options rather than just standing alone.

We ate at the Marriott (Porch) the other night, and the $25M face-lift of the lobby and meeting rooms are (to us) as classy/modern as the Omni, and with the multi-story entryway possibly even more dramatic. Also, we went upstairs and saw some Omni rooms, and, while nice and modern, are smaller than the Marriott and no more luxurious.

Besides those, the Brown and Seelbach still engender feelings of another time and era, and as some say, "reek with class."

The Omni balances all out, and provides another top option to downtown convention and hospitality, yes, but to say that it puts us into a total different area is just going too far in my opinion. Take the Omni, the others, and add in the Hyatt and the mid/low priced strip along Main, Jefferson, et al, and I think with the new convention center Louisville will take off running!
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:While we agree about the Omni's food options and architecture, I think it gives Louisville a range of options rather than just standing alone.

We ate at the Marriott (Porch) the other night, and the $25M face-lift of the lobby and meeting rooms are (to us) as classy/modern as the Omni, and with the multi-story entryway possibly even more dramatic. Also, we went upstairs and saw some Omni rooms, and, while nice and modern, are smaller than the Marriott and no more luxurious.

Besides those, the Brown and Seelbach still engender feelings of another time and era, and as some say, "reek with class."

The Omni balances all out, and provides another top option to downtown convention and hospitality, yes, but to say that it puts us into a total different area is just going too far in my opinion. Take the Omni, the others, and add in the Hyatt and the mid/low priced strip along Main, Jefferson, et al, and I think with the new convention center Louisville will take off running!

Andrew, even though we haven't seen the Omni yet I certainly agree with your comments. I believe the other advantage the Marriott has is it it's directly across the street from the convention center which alone certainly gives it an upper hand. I don't think the move to create Porch and get rid of Blu with a smart move on their part however. It leaves them without a high and, expense account restaurant which is something the Omni and several others have. Of course what many considered the grandest of that type restaurant the Oakroom has recently stopped operating as a public restaurant which is a great loss to Louisville.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 pm

The hotels mentioned above such as the Brown, the Seelbach, Marriot, 21C and others all have their features that make for an interesting hotel scene. However, the addition of the Omni, its cachet as an exclusive brand, and the expansiveness of its first floor market and other options, lifts the whole ship to another level. No, the Omni can't be viewed in isolation. But it packs a powerful punch and serves as an elite component of an ever improving downtown touristic scene.
James J. Natsis