Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Gary's on Spring shutting down

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Employees are getting the word as they report for work today, I'm reliably informed.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Gary's on Spring shutting down

by Bill Veneman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:51 pm

I can't say I'm not surprised! I've had my own issues with the restaurant, and particularly the "chef" for some time now. I'm honestly surprised that it survived as long as it has!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Wow. I always heard good things, at least early on.

Send any good line cooks my way, please!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Gary's On Spring wrote:It’s with a heavy heart that I have to announce we are closing after seven years. I want to thank all our guests for their support over the years. It was a pleasure serving, and getting to know so many great people. I will leave with some fond memories, and new friendships. Most of all I want to thank all of the great staff I have had both past, and present.
Without you, none of this would have been possible. I will do all I can to help them in this time of transition.

All the best,

Guy Sutcliffe
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:I can't say I'm not surprised! I've had my own issues with the restaurant, and particularly the "chef" for some time now. I'm honestly surprised that it survived as long as it has!

We'll miss it. We loved the space and thought staff was always friendly.

I had remembered you spoke glowingly of it in the past (as below) - what changed??

Bill Veneman wrote:Now I must at this point add a bit of a plug for Gary's on Spring......Chef Baker and Boss Guy Sutcliff went to Walden with me, and Harold has asked Alan Carrick (roomy and foodie) to join his team as prep chef.....

Gary's has turned into one of my very favorites for good food and wonderfully friendly atmosphere......If you've not been, GO GO GO.....

My favorites.......Hard to say....everything is wonderful, but if I HAD to choose, The Oysters Rocky, The Grouper, and the wonderful cheesecake.....OY..........
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:53 am

Jay M. wrote:
Bill Veneman wrote:I had remembered you spoke glowingly of it in the past (as below) - what changed??

Jay, as I stated, I have had issues with the place, and wish to leave it at that!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 am

We had a poor experience on many fronts there a few years ago. To their credit, when I mentioned it to management they apologized and offered to make it right on our next visit, but we never went back just because there are too many other options in this town.