Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Oriental House has Some Critical Issues

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 am

Mark R. wrote:
MarieP wrote:They now have an A!

At least in my opinion that's 1 of the big problems with the inspection system here in Louisville. If they get a "C" they can request a reinspection very soon thereafter and wipe the "C" off the map. I should have to keep it for at least 6 months.

That would really be unfair, Mark. Most Cs - the ones subject to quick reinspection - are due to critical violatins. Accidents or events of stupidity that can be quickly corrected and aren't likely to recur. A B reflects an overall slack approach and concerns me much more than a C, particularly as long as the inspection report shows what the C is for. A bottle of Windex left on a table by a careless busser? A clueless cook who brings in a sandwich from Mickey D's and leaves it on the line? A refrigerator compresser blows out and temperatures rise until it's fixed? Those aren't things to penalize a place for six months over. But enough sub-par grades to earn a B? Yeah, that worries me a lot more.

The general lack of understanding of this by the public is why I think it's a little sleazy of Biz First to use these reports as clickbait without really helping people understand what's significant and how the system works.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm

What Robin said entirely and wholeheartedly. If I have a drip in the drain from a handsink in side alcove (critical violation that gets you an automatic C), I don't think that should mark me with a C for 6 months, especially if I have a plumber come the same night and fix it.

Honestly, I wish it were possible to recall the inspector as soon as the problem is fixed and addressed. Sitting 10 days with a C on your window is the longest 10 days in your life, especially when it's for something that is immediately corrected.

Responsible restaurant owners, kitchen managers, and chefs work their butts off to maintain a clean and safe environment, getting a C is devastating and usually entirely unexpected. They rush, often at considerable expense, to get the problem solved as quickly and exactly as possible. Anyone who doesn't is going to likely get that B, which, as Robin, said is much better indicator of negligence and unsafe practices. Ultimately the HD isn't going to allow a business to operate that is putting the customer in direct and immediate risk, they are going to shut that place down. A "C" points to a critical concern that must be (and usually is) addressed immediately. A "B" usually means there are problems and no one seems interested or capable of fixing them. Sticking me with a "C" for longer than the time it takes to fix it seems entirely unfair.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote: That would really be unfair, Mark. Most Cs - the ones subject to quick reinspection - are due to critical violatins. Accidents or events of stupidity that can be quickly corrected and aren't likely to recur. A B reflects an overall slack approach and concerns me much more than a C, particularly as long as the inspection report shows what the C is for. A bottle of Windex left on a table by a careless busser? A clueless cook who brings in a sandwich from Mickey D's and leaves it on the line? A refrigerator compresser blows out and temperatures rise until it's fixed? Those aren't things to penalize a place for six months over. But enough sub-par grades to earn a B? Yeah, that worries me a lot more.

The general lack of understanding of this by the public is why I think it's a little sleazy of Biz First to use these reports as clickbait without really helping people understand what's significant and how the system works.

I fully realize how the system works Robin, and agree there are situations like you pointed out where having a "C" for 6 months wouldn't do any good. However, I know of several restaurants they get to see every inspection, fix what they need to and end up with a good reinspection in 10 days. They shouldn't be able to do that. They have a long-term history of problems in the public should be able to know that. Maybe the solution is to let them get reinspected, get their good grade, but still have to have the "C" posted alongside of it.

Many of the things you pointed out are truly something that can be corrected by training of the employees. Things like an equipment failure obviously aren't something that you can predict. Things like that every inspection and a change in rate is very appropriate. Something that was done by an employee or something similar is something that could be overcome and prevented with proper training and supervision.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Marybeth B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 pm

East End

by Marybeth B » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Maybe the solution is to let them get reinspected, get their good grade, but still have to have the "C" posted alongside of it.

Or for all inspections, a large letter showing their current grade and then the past three in a smaller font beneath it. That way you could see if there's a pattern - good or bad.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:32 pm

They already show the previous score on the placard with the current score and grade.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 am

Jerry C wrote:What's the proper protocol for getting rid of insects and rodents in a restaurant?
"Friday Night Specials"?? :wink: :wink:
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:25 am

Willie Myers wrote:
Jerry C wrote:What's the proper protocol for getting rid of insects and rodents in a restaurant?

That was wrong Willie...just plain wrong!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:43 pm

8)
Jerry C wrote:
Willie Myers wrote:

That was wrong Willie...just plain wrong!

8) 8) 8)
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm

While it would deter me, I walked past a place in the Highlands with a bid red C next to the door and it was reasonably full. I’m not sure what effect it has on business, if people actually read the violation reasons or just shrug it off.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Can't remember the place but one guy got a big red C and turnes it into Go Cards!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 am

I wonder how long Cafe Mimosa has had that big red C in their window?
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 am

Is there a "C" up now, Heather? It appears that they repented quickly and well after the last one.

Cafe-Mimosa-scores.png
Cafe Mimosa's most recent ratings
Cafe-Mimosa-scores.png (132.27 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 am

Also, it appears that they're on a six-month inspection schedule and due up in March.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Yep - saw it this morning.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Heather L wrote:Yep - saw it this morning.

Fascinating! I wonder if the inspector slipped in a month ahead of a six-month schedule with the idea of checking out whether they do a massive cleanup at inspection time but hadn't gotten to it yet.
PreviousNext