Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Oriental House has Some Critical Issues

by RonnieD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 pm

From my experience they operate more on a "get to you when we can" schedule. They usually come in 6 month intervals, but you can't mark it on the calendar. Probably for the best. Keeps you on your toes. I usually know I am due when the dish machine breaks down mid-shift.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:40 pm

I didn't realize that inspections were ever out of schedule. That's certainly not a good thing in my opinion because as Ronnie pointed out you could do a major cleanup when you knew your next inspection was due. Random time intervals seems like a much better idea and one that would keep restaurant owners/staff on their toes all the time.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Mark R. wrote:I didn't realize that inspections were ever out of schedule. That's certainly not a good thing in my opinion because as Ronnie pointed out you could do a major cleanup when you knew your next inspection was due. Random time intervals seems like a much better idea and one that would keep restaurant owners/staff on their toes all the time.

Well ... if you haven't been inspected for five or six months, you can easily infer that the inspector is due. I think a restaurateur can reasonably assume that he's "safe" for four of five months, then he's up for a visit, and of course he won't know the exact date or week. But a six-month timeframe is pretty standard, just not precise. Is that about right, Ronnie?
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Yeah, in my experience after an inspection you are pretty solid for 5 months. Anytime after that you are due. I've been inspected right at 6 months after the previous inspection, I've also been inspected 7.5 months after previous inspection. I've never been inspected earlier than 6 months after. Needless to say we make note of the date of our previous inspection, but it basically tells us we have that long to correct any of the issues they have found. Some are simple and correctible within a week of inspection, but some require infrastructural work and can take a while. (we recently had to retile a floor in a storage area, that took some time). But it helps remind us that if there is something we haven't addressed we have a hard deadline of when it needs to be ready for inspection.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:14 am

My husband worked in healthcare and his co-workers could not understand how he did not ever get all upset when the state inspectors were coming thru and he said if you stay on top of things all the time what have you got to worry about. I think the same could be said about the food biz.
Previous