Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jason R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Old Zad Cafe location now J Gumbo's?

by Jason R » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Was walking on Bardstown last night and happened to look behind the Wendy's (@ Grinstead) and noticed the old Zad building had a J Gumbo's sign hanging on the side. Please tell me this is happening! :!:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Old Zad Cafe location now J Gumbo's?

by RonnieD » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:37 pm

It's happening.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am

This is open.

I've not been in at least five years to the other locations, and I had a very good chicken bowl for a carryout dinner on Friday. The food was good, the service friendly, and even better, only an even $7 for most meals. I wasn't aware that the prices are so low -- basically the same as a fast food meal at Raising Cain's just up the street, but far better. I look forward to returning later this week.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

by Jeremy Coker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Stopped in on Saturday night the food was great and super inexpensive, 2 meals for less than $16. The exterior still looks a little rough but the the interior has been really cleaned up and it has an open and bright feel. I am excited by the addition to the neighborhood and hope they do really well.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:03 pm

Got that old hankerin' for some J Gumbo's last night, so on my way to my grand son's soccer game today (3/31) I stopped at the Frankfort Ave. location to get my fix. I almost couldn't get there because of the Frankfort Ave. Easter parade. The police had just re-opened the streets and I finally got there about 30 minutes past the time I wanted.

Pulled into the lot to find it CLOSED...big sign in the front window and a typed paper that said they were remodeling, and would re-open after the remodel (no timetable given).

Once you got that hankerin' you just gotta have J Gumbo's (I get a mix of 3/4 bumblebee stew with 1/4 drunken chicken),,,mmm!

I made my way to the newly opened one on Grinstead and learned that the owners of Frankfort Ave. had retired and moved to Florida yesterday. Wish Billy and Debbie the best. Debbie started one of the more unique breakfasts about 7-10 years ago at the Frankfort location (hence the name Debbie's Diner).

One of their sons was working at the Grinstead location, and I learned that another of their son's would be re-opening the Frankfort location when the remodel is finished.

At any rate, I am happy to report that the recipes at the new location seem to be the same!!

Good luck at Grinstead...lot of foot traffic in that area but very little parking.