Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Choo-Choo's Pizza (retro memories)

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 am

Am I the only one who remembers Choo-Choo's Pizza from circa 1993? It had to be an extremely short-lived local Chuck E. Cheese knock-off, but I distinctly remember that they had a TV commercial wherein they advertised that kids could ride an "authentic Western train" and they bizarrely advertised "no cover charge."

I googled it, but as you might imagine short-lived train-themed pizza restaurants named Choo-Choo's are not exactly rare. However most of them aren't kids' buffet style.

Did I invent this madness? Please help me not be crazy.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Choo-Choo's Pizza (retro memories)

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:37 am

I'm remembering one of the Southern Indiana Pizza King shops had a model train that rolled around the tables, but not this, Ronnie. We were away in NYC during the early '90s, though, so I can't testify.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am

Choo Choo was character in the old Showbiz Pizza Rockafire Explosion show. But all the Showbiz joints were bought up and made Chuck E Cheeses in the early 90's.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 pm

I don't remember a Choo Choo Pizza, but I do remember Royal Line Pizza. I'm not sure it's what you're describing though. Royal Line had a glass-enclosed train that ran parallel to the tables, and the train with your order would stop at your table, and you opened up the door to get your food. I remember the pizza being thin cracker crust, which I never get, but I thought theirs was delicious! And I always had fun playing Sega Sonic the Hedgehog tableside.

I may need to visit Pizza King sometime for the nostalgia! Never been there because it's across the magical river that's apparently too hard to cross! :lol:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Yeah, it's not the Choo-Choo bear character from Showbiz, I checked that out. I distinctly remember this place had a human-in-a-costume mascot of a train engine, but as I recall the costume was felt-lined so the train was kind of fuzzy. Again, this place was very very odd.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Answering my own question, at least in part, but I was able to find this ad from the CJ from 1992. It was a real thing and it looks like it was a regional concept that was very short lived. The mascot was that hippo, not a fuzzy train, but still... Looks like it was down on Dixie. Would love to find that absolutely insane commercial...
Attachments
0_0_2447_3431.jpg
0_0_2447_3431.jpg (34.62 KiB) Viewed 3782 times
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY