Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Choo-Choo's Pizza (retro memories)

no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Choo-Choo's Pizza (retro memories)

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 am

Am I the only one who remembers Choo-Choo's Pizza from circa 1993? It had to be an extremely short-lived local Chuck E. Cheese knock-off, but I distinctly remember that they had a TV commercial wherein they advertised that kids could ride an "authentic Western train" and they bizarrely advertised "no cover charge."

I googled it, but as you might imagine short-lived train-themed pizza restaurants named Choo-Choo's are not exactly rare. However most of them aren't kids' buffet style.

Did I invent this madness? Please help me not be crazy.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Choo-Choo's Pizza (retro memories)

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:37 am

I'm remembering one of the Southern Indiana Pizza King shops had a model train that rolled around the tables, but not this, Ronnie. We were away in NYC during the early '90s, though, so I can't testify.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am

Choo Choo was character in the old Showbiz Pizza Rockafire Explosion show. But all the Showbiz joints were bought up and made Chuck E Cheeses in the early 90's.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 pm

I don't remember a Choo Choo Pizza, but I do remember Royal Line Pizza. I'm not sure it's what you're describing though. Royal Line had a glass-enclosed train that ran parallel to the tables, and the train with your order would stop at your table, and you opened up the door to get your food. I remember the pizza being thin cracker crust, which I never get, but I thought theirs was delicious! And I always had fun playing Sega Sonic the Hedgehog tableside.

I may need to visit Pizza King sometime for the nostalgia! Never been there because it's across the magical river that's apparently too hard to cross! :lol:
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Yeah, it's not the Choo-Choo bear character from Showbiz, I checked that out. I distinctly remember this place had a human-in-a-costume mascot of a train engine, but as I recall the costume was felt-lined so the train was kind of fuzzy. Again, this place was very very odd.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Answering my own question, at least in part, but I was able to find this ad from the CJ from 1992. It was a real thing and it looks like it was a regional concept that was very short lived. The mascot was that hippo, not a fuzzy train, but still... Looks like it was down on Dixie. Would love to find that absolutely insane commercial...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY