Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Is bar Vetti the only no-tipping restaurant?

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:08 pm

I can't think of any others. The Trustees House at Shakertown used to be, but they changed that with new management a decade ago.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Is bar Vetti the only no-tipping restaurant?

by Iggy C » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:50 pm

We went this weekend. I found the no-tipping thing interesting. I found myself mentally deducting 16.6% from the prices (because that’s what a 20% tip on the untipped price would make it), so it actually made me pay more attention to the prices. But that was fine because prices were reasonable for the food and overall experience. I should also say that the bucatini completely lived up to they hype. We’ll definitely be back.
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Is bar Vetti the only no-tipping restaurant?

by Ryan Rogers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Thank you for coming in Iggy and the kind words. We are certainly not the first to do it in town, Wiltshire at The Speed was doing a hospitality included model when they first opened and were offering table service. As our fixed costs continue to rise in the restaurant business, we’re constantly looking for ways to try to compensate our employees as fairly and equitably as possible, as well as provide additional benefits. So far our pilot of hospitality included seems to be working well, and we’ve had basically zero turnover since we’ve opened. And almost zero pushback from consumers as well.

My background is from being a line cook first and though I rarely get to spend my time these days slinging pans, my memories of long hours for little compensation are still with me. Ultimately we can’t pay employees what I want to pay them, because customers won’t pay the prices, but we’ll continue to push and test out innovative ways of trying to get there.
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken