Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Kaelin's coming back! Please wave!

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Will Terry wrote:Any idea when this is opening?

Very soon ... one of our gang went to a soft opening this week, which reminds me, there are pictures! Hang on for a few ...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Kaelin's 80/20 soft opening photos online

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks to HotBytes Forum member Mary Anne for contributing these photos from a recent soft opening event at Kaelins 80/20, soon to open as successor to the beloved Kaelin's ("If you can't stop, please wave") on Newburg Road.

Because the photos are large, rather than shrink them for the forum, I created a page on the HotBytes website to accommodate them. Enjoy!

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/kaelins-80-20-soft
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Pretty sure formal opening is tonight. Pictures look good, I’m optimistic.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:27 pm

Great pictures! Anxious to go and try the 80/20 burger.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am

My wife and I walked to 80/20 last night.
I had high hopes for the place...and I was NOT disappointed. Space-wise, they have outdone themselves. I thought the photos looked great, but they don't do it justice. Hard to believe it's the same place that housed the original Kaelin's.
Neither of us had huge appetites so we split a wedge salad and a three-slider sampler. The salad was quite good for a wedge salad, with tasty chunks of country ham adding a salty counter to the dressing. Of the sliders (80/20, Pork belly-shoulder blend, and chorizo), the real standout was the pork blend. It was almost like making a patty out of pulled pork and belly, but I guess that's because that's exactly what it was. The suprise was how well it worked--a true bbq burger. I will also definitely order the full-sized 80/20 as the slider portion showed a great deal of promise. As for the chorizo burger, it was good. The sausage was highly accented with cumin. Tasty, but I will probably focus on other options.
As far as the food that was carried past our table, everything looked good. The onion rings and fried fish sandwich caught my eye as appearing to be perfectly fried and non-greasy. I'm anxious to see if the onion rings are as good as my current gold standard (Stout, which has replaced the Granville Inn in my rankings).
Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't comment about my interaction with one of the owners, Chris Fenton. He gave us a tour of the next phases in their plans, with a walk-through of the soon-to-be opened ice cream parlour, complete with an old "soda jerk" fountain and waffle cone maker. He also showed us the upstairs area to be used as a family-friendly private function space. When I say family-friendly, I REALLY mean it. Just take a look at the upstairs bathroom, and you'll catch my drift. (spoiler avoided)
The place was slammed for an eight o'clock on a Tuesday, and I have a hunch that may become a common sight.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:03 am

Great review, Steve. Thanks for putting us on the scene.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Glad to be of service! I hope your experience mirrors ours when you surreptitiously pop in for a meal. Admittedly, my interest may be self-serving since we've really missed an ongoing venture in our nearest restaurant neighbor, but I do believe they have all the pieces to be very successful.
Previous