Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Corbett's Closing

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 pm

SilvioM wrote:I work with someone who is a distant cousin (same last name) of the person referenced on the plaque. If the building is taken down, hope that the plaque can be saved for the family.

I think I can probably make a connection toward having that happen, Silvio, unless someone else has already claimed it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think I can probably make a connection toward having that happen, Silvio, unless someone else has already claimed it.

Stay tuned, might have some word one or or the other by tomorrow.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Great, thanks! I hope all nice historic buildings survive (can't speak about the quality of this one, as I have not seen or been in it), but if this one goes, it would be nice to have some aspects of it preserved.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 pm

I had a friend visit from Wisconsin and we went to dinner at Corbett's and he saw that sign and almost fell over - also a distant family member to the folks that owned the dairy. It's the old small world thing. And I'd be stunned if that building survives. As beautiful as it is, the land it's on must be worth significantly more than the value of the building as is. Let's throw one more big box into that area, right?
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 pm

TP Lowe wrote:...a distant family member to the folks that owned the dairy...

There must be a lot of those around. I took the picture of the plaque (and some of the old family photos inside) to send to someone I met from Virginia Beach, VA who is also related to the Von Allmen family.
no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

by Jenny H » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Does anyone know if gift cards can be used at any other location? I had just purchased one for a friend. :(
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Corbett's Closing / Equus / Jack's Lounge

by Jay M. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Jenny H wrote:Does anyone know if gift cards can be used at any other location? I had just purchased one for a friend.

Jay M. wrote:I wonder if gift certs will be honored at any of the other establishments?

The answer we received tonight at Equus / Jack's is "no".

That answer is surprising, unfortunate, and wrong.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Corbett's Closing / Equus / Jack's Lounge

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Jay M. wrote:The answer we received tonight at Equus / Jack's is "no".

That answer is surprising, unfortunate, and wrong.

:shock:
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Dispute the charge with your credit card company. Even Lynn's Paradise Cafe' offered money back for unused gift cards. You would think Corbett's would have more class than that.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:49 am

I have worked for Dean for the last ten years and have watched as this has played out.
I would ask for a moment of your time to explain some of what is going on with the gift cards.
Although Dean had his name on the building and was the face of the place he was actually a minority investor in the endeavor. If it were up to him the place would still be open.
It was always run as a totally separate business from Equus which has been Dean's baby for the last 38 years. There was never any reciprocity between the two restaurants,they never accepted our cards and we never accepted theirs since they were two separate entities.
Since the closing Dean has tried to get the investors on board to paying back the guests who purchased the gift cards, but to no avail.
As anyone who has worked in this industry knows, restaurants survive on a slim profit margin, and if Equus had to take on the responsibility of honoring another business's debts it too would not last long.
Dean is heartbroken about the closing, and burdened by letting his guests down. I can assure you all he is not doing this out of meanness or greed, and he understands how badly it reflects on him, but his hands are tied.
Thank you for your time.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:37 am

GaryF wrote:I have worked for Dean for the last ten years and have watched as this has played out.
I would ask for a moment of your time to explain some of what is going on with the gift cards. ...

Gary, that's terrible, but it makes sense.

Could you name the investors? A little public pressure and embarrassment might go a long way to make this right.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:37 am

GaryF wrote:I have worked for Dean for the last ten years and have watched as this has played out.
I would ask for a moment of your time to explain some of what is going on with the gift cards. ...

Gary, that's terrible, but it makes sense.

Could you name the investors? A little public pressure and embarrassment might go a long way to make this right.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I would feel uncomfortable naming names,and thruth is I don't know them all.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Gary,

Thank you for the response. We have had the benefit of receiving your fine service in the past, and you are a model employee for defending your management’s decision. We have always thought very highly of Dean Corbett and have patronized his places for many years.

Apparently, those of us holding gift certificates have no choice but to accept the loss. It’s probably a small group of us, anyway, but I remain surprised and disappointed. We received the gift certificate from generous friends and were able to use some of the value after we heard the building was for sale but before the closure. I am finished with this discussion and not looking for a reply.
Last edited by Jay M. on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:06 pm

In my all too brief experiences with Dean, I have found him to be sincere, trustworthy, and forthright. I do not know the intricacies of his businesses, but I would be distressed to discover that he was willfully not doing everything he could to correct this situation. I tend to believe GaryF's account of this situation.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
PreviousNext