Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Why am I getting free beer?

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Why am I getting free beer?

by SilvioM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:44 pm

On two consecutive dining occasions, a draft beer of about $6 was not added to my check. It got me wondering why. The first time, a meal and two beers (charged for one), I shrugged my shoulders and moved on. The second time it was a meal and one (free) beer, resulting in a 33% reduction in my bill. I wondered if this happened because:

a) it was an honest oversight
b) the beer was kept off to get a higher tip (which they received)
c) it might be a manager "freebie" to get returning customers
d) some other reason

If a retailer doesn't charge me for something, I point it out. I didn't in these cases and wondered if I should. Both are locally owned businesses that I want to see succeed, but am I breaking a "code" of some kind by pointing it out or should I just go with the flow (of suds)?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Why am I getting free beer?

by Steve P » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 pm

The fact that you (apparently) didn't query the server and/or manager about whether said beverages were compensatory or the result of a billing error before paying your bill and walking out suggests that you're not -really- interested in the answer to your question.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:32 am

I have to agree with Steve on this one. We always ask if we notice that something is missing from the bill, it's only fair to the restaurant and the wait staff. Many times if something isn't put on the bill wait staff will have to pay for if out-of-pocket it's discovered later on. It certainly appreciated most times when you pointed out when something is missing from the bill. If they really are just being nice to you they will still appreciate the fact that you noticed it and will just tell you that it was a freebie!

As a side note, I believe that under Kentucky law it's illegal to give a customer free drinks.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for the polite response and advice, Mark. Mistakes will still occur as I often pay without looking, but I wondered what other patrons do, and what managers/owners expect of their customers, when they do notice.

I still wonder why it happened, especially the 2nd time, as they weren't nearly busy enough not to notice, I would think.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 am

SilvioM wrote:Thanks for the polite response and advice, Mark. Mistakes will still occur as I often pay without looking, but I wondered what other patrons do, and what managers/owners expect of their customers, when they do notice.

I still wonder why it happened, especially the 2nd time, as they weren't nearly busy enough not to notice, I would think.

It really is fascinating! I wish I could get that to happen to me, Silvio. :D

I do concur with the advice to bring it to their attention, though. If it's a mistake, it's the right thing to do. If they intended it as a gift, it's good to know for sure, and to be able to thank them. No downside that I can see.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:38 am

Silvio, any time you'd like to treat me to dinner and drinks, I'm down. :D
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Ha! Glad to. Considering that I tip between 25-40%, I'm hardly the penny pincher. And if I get offered a comp meal to a mistake or delay, I always decline.

No one seemed the think that the bartender had ulterior motives, my original suspicion, so I'll chalk it up to a human error.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 pm

SilvioM wrote:No one seemed the think that the bartender had ulterior motives, my original suspicion, so I'll chalk it up to a human error.

Makes sense. I thought over ulterior motives but couldn't really come up with any that made sense. Modern point of sale systems make skimming a lot harder to do than it used to be.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:03 pm

I went to a local restaurant, and a friend ordered a sandwich and salad bar, and I ordered soup and salad bar. When I paid, I noticed the receipt said a sandwich and side salad (one trip to the bar) and a soup and unlimited salad bar. My friend wanted the unlimited salad bar. I asked, and the guy said this was because the Manager's Special was a sandwich and side salad and was cheaper. I guess he thought my friend (or I) would only go once? He said to just take the dirty salad bowl back up to reuse it. I did actually only go once...the restaurant was even somewhat busy.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm

please don't take the dirty bowl back up to the salad bar.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 am

RonnieD wrote:please don't take the dirty bowl back up to the salad bar.

Yeah, don't worry...we didn't... :shock: