Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Michael Sell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

BUY LOCAL FIRST

by Michael Sell » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:43 pm

I wish that LIBA would adopt "Buy Local First" and retire "Keep Louisville Weird." Independent businesses are not (well, with a few exceptions) weird, and frankly most chainstores are much weirder (excessive lighting, hellomayihelpyouhaveaniceday, etc).

I think the Keep ____ Weird movement started in Austin, TX and, having been there recently, hasn't been very successful. Louisville is in a pivotal position between turning into either chainland/Cordish Adult Playground or a strong local business-oriented city. I hope for the latter. Who knows? Maybe it'll be both.

In the meantime, "Keep New Albany Slightly Peculiar But Occasionally Interesting"
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

Re: BUY LOCAL FIRST

by Todd Antz » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:16 pm

Michael Sell wrote:I wish that LIBA would adopt "Buy Local First" and retire "Keep Louisville Weird." Independent businesses are not (well, with a few exceptions) weird, and frankly most chainstores are much weirder (excessive lighting, hellomayihelpyouhaveaniceday, etc).

I think the Keep ____ Weird movement started in Austin, TX and, having been there recently, hasn't been very successful. Louisville is in a pivotal position between turning into either chainland/Cordish Adult Playground or a strong local business-oriented city. I hope for the latter. Who knows? Maybe it'll be both.

In the meantime, "Keep New Albany Slightly Peculiar But Occasionally Interesting"

Based on what I saw at the meeting yesterday, they are moving to the Buy Local First as opposed to the Keep Louisville Weird. I doubt if they will drop it entirely, but I did see a lot more emphasis on Buy Local as opposed to the weird. They did admit that they borrowed the Keep _______ Weird from Austin, but with permission and blessing.

Of course if they change the Keep Louisville Weird advertising, my Keep Kentuckiana Beer'd tagline won't be amusing anymore. So I am all for keeping it! :D
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
Previous