Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

viktor.navarro

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 16, 2017 2:50 am

Re: Milantoni Italian Restaurant?

by viktor.navarro » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:05 am

I haven't visited it personally, but this Milantoni Italian Restaurant seems to be a rather hot new place. People are praising the Carbonara and the desserts.
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Sounds like it's worth a try given the price point. But someone really ought to tell them that one of the stock photos that they are using on the menu page of their website is a picture of an Indian buffet. :D
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:08 pm

We had dinner there Saturday night. Although it's probably the worst location in town for a restaurant, they were nearly full. Food was great; although it looked like they were struggling a bit on the staffing side of things. I could tell the focaccia bread and the cannoli were freshly made.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 pm

Richard S. wrote:We had dinner there Saturday night. Although it's probably the worst location in town for a restaurant, they were nearly full. Food was great; although it looked like they were struggling a bit on the staffing side of things. I could tell the focaccia bread and the cannoli were freshly made.

We talk to the owners were we were there early Thursday evening and 1 of the things we discussed was staffing. The problem right now is that since they are relatively new the number of guests they have varies considerably. They don't want to (nor should they) considerably over staff to cover the peaks because that would leave them considerably overstaffed if the crowds do not materialize. Obviously is an issue they are working on and looking at however.

I certainly agree about the location but they are just kids starting their 1st business (although they have quite a bit of experience already from previous positions) and the location had very reasonable rent for them to get started. Hopefully business continues to grow, which I really think it will based on their food quality, they would like to move to a much better location in the future. If they can do well in this location they can do well anyplace.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Because of this forum, I checked out this place last night. It was a mixed bag, let me start with the not-so-good.

Basically, anything that isn't the food. The building needs work. Now, the problem isn't that it was a Wendy's -- the problem is that it still mostly looks like a fast food place. The layout is the same, the tables appear to be too, and the lighting is bad, even flickered a few times. They have a few Italian touches strewn about, but not much to cover up what it was. The music was odd, came from a TV and started with something Italian, then turned into a set of Celtic Women (?!?) videos. Strange, but not terrible. What was -- the COLD. It was 16 degrees outside and inside, better, but not nearly enough. We still had to leave our coats on despite sitting in the "warm" section -- heated by a shaky central system and a few six-inch space heaters.. I could feel the breeze coming through the windows. Were the plates not heated, I think the food would have chilled quickly.

The food, however, was excellent. We had three pasta dishes, all were clearly homemade, sauces were outstanding, and the pasta was fresh and had a great texture. The garlic bread was complimentary, we received two free sets of six sticks and ate them all. The toppings were really good. Other than that, the house salad wasn't distinctive, but fine enough. The service was good but it wasn't that busy, just four other coat-wearing tables were present during our 45 minute stay.

Was it worth it? Maybe. It seems that the lunch menu is a great deal (perhaps too good?), but the dinners, which seem to average about $12 a plate, are about right given that the portions are good, though not generous.

Worth a return? Not until it's above freezing, and even then, I'd stick with the lunch specials when/if I'm in the area again. The food is quite impressive, but I'd likely pay $5 more a plate for dinner at Silvio's or Ciao to sit in a nicer, and warmer, setting. I do hope the best for Milantoni's -- the food is good enough to gain a following, whether or not the other hindrances will allow them to thrive in a heavily competitive area will be interesting to see.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:26 pm

I’ve been a few times over the past month.

Is it good? Depends on what you order.

I have had the Chicken Marsala and the Polo Florentine Pasta. Honestly, these dishes were bad. Both sauces tasted like canned chicken noodle soup broth. This was disappointing as Chicken Marsala is probably my favorite non-steak dish.

I have also had a few dishes with red sauce and sampled others with red sauce and they were outstanding. I have heard others say the Alfredo dishes are good but have not sampled them.

The free bread is great. We tried the bruschetta which was good but really no reason to buy it since you get the bread for free.

Ceaser salad was pretty non descript.

The entire staff is super nice. They have had “live painting events” twice when I have been there if that’s something you enjoy.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Thought I'd bump this up. We went for a late lunch/ early dinner today and it was great!

The place itself is not very nice to look at, but the food...the food is really good! We had fresh fried mozzarella, lasagna, tri-colored pasta and cannoli. It was all excellent!

They do serve beer and wine now.

I really think they would have something special if they were ever able to set up in a nicer building. I'll still go back for the food, but I can just imagine this in a place like Ferd's used to be. That would be great!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:17 pm

I forget if it's been posted here are not but the same couple have now opened a 2nd restaurant in Shelbyville. Here's the website: https://www.italianrestaurantshelbyville.com/
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:04 pm

I thought I'd pop back in to this discussion, since we visit Milantoni weekly.

I only order one dish, the first menu item I tried, and I'm sticking with it: Pasta Milantoni. I don't know how they cook that chicken breast, but it's gotten to the point where I order an extra breast because it's that good. There are times when I think someone uses less truffle oil in the dish than others, but that's about my only quibble. I love it when they are generous with the truffle oil.

After many months of eating his way through the menu, my partner has settled on Spaghetti Alla Amici. I'm not sure why this is his favorite, but he loves it.

The free bread with marinara sauce is delicious. We've reached the point where we have to request two containers of sauce because my partner would drink it straight if he could.

I give them 5/5 for what they do, offer reasonably priced Italian food in a not-so-stuffy atmosphere. The building is what it is, but they've done what they can to make it look more inviting (and they often have live music). The adjacent hotel and mini mart are rather dilapidated, but that's not the restaurant's fault. Traffic is crazy in that area, but it's not impossible to get in and out.

I should also point out for those who didn't hear about it, when they ran into problems with their sewer system and cooking equipment and had to close for several weeks, they cooked up all the food already in their coolers and took it downtown to serve the homeless. The owners are good people, and they get my business for that, in addition to the good food.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 pm

Terri Beam wrote:I should also point out for those who didn't hear about it, when they ran into problems with their sewer system and cooking equipment and had to close for several weeks, they cooked up all the food already in their coolers and took it downtown to serve the homeless. The owners are good people, and they get my business for that, in addition to the good food.

That is so awesome! I did not know about that, Terri, and my opinion just shot up a notch or maybe five.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:16 am

Mark R. wrote:I forget if it's been posted here are not but the same couple have now opened a 2nd restaurant in Shelbyville. Here's the website: https://www.italianrestaurantshelbyville.com/

Interesting! Thank you!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Terri Beam wrote:I should also point out for those who didn't hear about it, when they ran into problems with their sewer system and cooking equipment and had to close for several weeks, they cooked up all the food already in their coolers and took it downtown to serve the homeless. The owners are good people, and they get my business for that, in addition to the good food.

That is so awesome! I did not know about that, Terri, and my opinion just shot up a notch or maybe five.

Awesome!
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but I'm attempting to upload a screenshot I found on Milantoni's Facebook page that indicates they are also opening a location in Bardstown. I hope they're not expanding too quickly (saw what happened to Our Best when they did that).

milantoni.png
milantoni.png (281.25 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pm

I hope they are not spreading themselves too thin with the additional location.
I went with a friend for lunch on Saturday, and did not have a great experience. I ordered the Chicken Piccata ( full dinner portion as it was the only options) with wheat penne which was listed online and on the menu. As I'm limiting simple carbs, wheat pasta is my strongly preferred option. after awhile the server came back and said " Chef says they don't do whole wheat wheat pasta anymore, and it should have been removed from the menu". ( how hard is it to stock dry whole wheat pasta??). When my $15.99 entree arrived, it included one very, very small piece of chicken scallopini- cut ( so super thin). It was served over a large bed of angel hair. The flavor was very good and lots of capers, but the food value was not good with that small amount of protein. Disappointed as I'd read such great things. :(
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Tue May 21, 2019 10:36 am

I had a similarly bad experience recently. Went last Monday for for the lunch special, baked spaghetti with meat sauce. Was informed they did not have any of the special (?) but would substitute spaghetti with a meatball. Not thrilled, but OK. Then the wait began. And waited. And waited. Finally, after more than 25 minutes and no customer being served anything, a restaurant employee (or friend of employee) sitting with friends or employees at a table by the door, walked back into the kitchen and returned with a serving of spaghetti and meatball for himself. That was the last straw. I put $3.00 dollars on the table for my iced tea and walked out. Incredibly poor service. Plus, when the lunch special every Monday is baked spaghetti, how do they not have baked spaghetti on Monday?

Sorry to see it go downhill like that. I used to lunch there every week or two. But no more.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
PreviousNext