Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Delicious food and world peace at Jerusalem Kitchen

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 am

Delicious food and an idea for world peace at Jerusalem Kitchen

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Jerusalem Kitchen’s chakchouka, three eggs simmered in spicy tomato sauce.

I don’t know anybody who thinks that the world is in great shape nowadays, and all the saber-rattling going on over Iran and North Korea is just the beginning. Things haven’t changed much since the 1960s, when the Kingston Trio famously sang in The Merry Minuet, “The whole world is festering with unhappy souls. The French hate the Germans. The Germans hate the Poles. Italians hate Yugoslavs. South Africans hate the Dutch … and I don't like anybody very much!

And that’s before we even start talking about the tensions that tear at Southwest Asia, that region of seemingly never-ending wars: Iraq and Syria and Lebanon and Israel and Palestine, oh my!

Will the world ever know peace in our time? I’ve got my doubts. But, my imagination fired with a delicious, filling meal at Jerusalem Kitchen, I’ve got an idea: What if we all tried just a little harder to get to know our neighbors through food?

I think it might work. Palestinians and Israelis may fight, or at least their governments do, but they all love hummus and baba ghanoug and chakchouka and shawarma and pitas and all manner of other good stuff that people enjoy all through the eastern end of the Mediterranean basin. Even gyros, which we’ll bet you thought were Greek.

I can’t think of a better way to adjust our attitudes about the whole region and its friendly people than to sit down and enjoy a good meal together, getting to know each other’s food. If not now, then when? If not us, then whom? Let’s start this thing with a happy trek out to Jerusalem Kitchen for a filling and affordable lunch or dinner!

Jerusalem Kitchen is the current incarnation of Little Jerusalem Cafe, having moved to Okolona from Iroquois Manor last winter. It is larger than its predecessor, with an extensive menu of much the same excellent, value-priced fare. It’s in a rather plain white building just off Preston Highway opposite Southern High School. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/delic ... em-kitchen

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Jerusalem Kitchen
4313 St. Rita Drive
614-6465
https://facebook.com/JerusalemKitchen
Robin Garr’s rating: 85 points
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Delicious food and world peace at Jerusalem Kitchen

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Nice review, place is a gem.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Delicious food and world peace at Jerusalem Kitchen

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks. I was really happy with it for food and overall feel of the place. It's a bit of a hike out that way, but I can definitely see doing it now and then.