Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Fried Calamari

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Fried Calamari

by Gayle DeM » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:06 pm

What I miss most about Paloma Viejo is their calamari. It was IMO always the best in town. Now I have found a more that satisfactory replacement at Brasserie Provence. Their calamari is the best I have had anywhere: lightly breaded, fresh, slightly seasoned rings of crispy calamari plus equally satisfying tentacles served with red peppered aioli and lemon herb aioli.

Too frequently calamari is rubbery, meaning the product either wasn’t fresh or was cooked to long. This calamari is superbly prepared to preserve all the flavor.

I have taken to ordering it during the “Happy Hour” (4:00 - 6:30, Monday - Friday), when it appears on the $5 Appetizer menu. I think this is a winner for one of the best taste and value dealsein town!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: Fried Calamari

by Alanna H » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 pm

I'll have to try theirs!

I really like Mussel & Burger Bar's calamari. It has peppers, olives, capers...so good! Not too many tentacles, thank goodness, because I can't bring myself to even touch them- much less eat them!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm

I thought Lupo's was very nice.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:14 am

Why is there so much fried calamari? In Italy and Greece, there were delicious grilled, steamed, etc dishes which were delicious and not drowned by breading. Ditto for New York. I'm not saying that Brasserie Provence's is,never had it, so I'm sure it's delicious. This is a general comment.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:31 am

Linda C wrote:Why is there so much fried calamari? In Italy and Greece, there were delicious grilled, steamed, etc dishes which were delicious and not drowned by breading.

Totally agree!

We love Hiko-a-Mon, as they have a grilled calamari that is WONDERFUL (whether we order sushi, soup, grilled fish, whatever, we always order it). Also, Volare used to make a grilled seafood salad including grilled calamari (not sure if it's still on the menu or not, but they'd make it on request even if not on the menu).

In Chicago, every tiny neighborhood Italian or Greek restaurant has grilled calamari as an appetizer, entree, or both. I wonder if people think Louisvillians are afraid of what squid looks like?

Note that on occasion we have had good luck in requesting that local restaurants grill or sautee calamari instead of frying it. Results vary considerably, but we keep on trying.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:21 am

One of our two or three "we want carryout but don't want to think too hard about options" choices is the Caesar salad with fried calamari from North End on Frankfort Avenue. The calamari is always well-prepared and tolerates the brief trip home well.
no avatar
User

viktor.navarro

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 16, 2017 2:50 am

by viktor.navarro » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:17 am

Calamari... the only decent calamari I've had locally was at both Mussel & Burger Bar places, one is at 7th, the other's at Taylorsville road. They manage not to make the calamari ruberry, I agree with the topic starter here - it's the most common thing about it that people get wrong. Mostly, I think, it's overcooking, because when it's not fresh enough, it's actually more... I don't know, gooey on the inside.
The only thing I have to complain about Mussel is that they never give me enough tentacles. I love tentacles, actually.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:47 am

Had a chance to eat at 8 Up last night before the Beats Antique show at Mercury Ballroom. They have an excellent calamari version on the small plates menu in the bar area along with a stand out fried green tomato plate.