Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Metro Diner chain coming to Jefferson Commons, hiring 10

by RonnieD » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Let's not do this, Robin. Who knows what the local franchisee's political affiliation is, and if we go shop to shop asking who the owner votes for, we are going down a scary road.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 pm

RonnieD wrote:Let's not do this, Robin. Who knows what the local franchisee's political affiliation is, and if we go shop to shop asking who the owner votes for, we are going down a scary road.

Very well said Ronnie. I was trying to figure out how to respond to Robin,s posting but couldn't quite figure out how to word it. However, your post is very well said, we need to keep politics out of discussions here as much as possible.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Mark R. wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Let's not do this, Robin. Who knows what the local franchisee's political affiliation is, and if we go shop to shop asking who the owner votes for, we are going down a scary road.

Very well said Ronnie. I was trying to figure out how to respond to Robin,s posting but couldn't quite figure out how to word it. However, your post is very well said, we need to keep politics out of discussions here as much as possible.

Agreed. No need to add anything else.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:52 am

I've accused Robin of being overly political and letting personal biases cloud analysis. However, he merely stated a corporation's agenda. Any business defines itself by its actions, parterships, and financial support. They built their identity knowing that this is all public information. Robin simply stated info without comment. Sure we all know where he stands, but it is his website after all. You are the ones who choose to support a known liberal :shock: with your clicks.

To take things further, I, personally am interested to know where my money goes, directly or indirectly so. A business cannot, and in no way deserves, to be shielded from its social and political footprint. If you want your politics to be ignored, don't put them out there, bruh.

Lastly, as a lifelong avowed apathetic moderate who shunned both parties and accused Robin of being over the top and hyperbolic...I may have been wrong. Republicans ARE evil after all, and I'm not going to blow my mashed potato budget to support their super PACs.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 am

I hear you, Ronnie, but please note two things: First, I did say, "I'm just going to put this out there ...," and did not add snark. And second, in the immediate aftermath of Las Vegas, I have to feel that corporate contributions to NRA are something I want to know about. Much like I can't un-hear Papa John's very public commentary on ACA and minimum wage and passing along any costs he is "forced" to undertake for his employees on to consumers. We don't live in a vacuum.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:53 am

Yeah. Just stick your head in the sand. I wouldn't give a dime to these guys. The GOP/NRA/Drumpf administration is everything that is wrong in this world.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 am

I'm not advocating ignorance, necessarily, but if this is what we're doing now, then every restaurant review here needs to provide the political leaning of the owner, chef and server. That way we can be sure we are helping/hurting the right people. Since there are no such thing as Good Conservatives or Bad Democrats so let's get out those broad brushes and paint ourselves to pieces. Doesn't seem at all like what's wrong with society in general. :roll:

I'd rather go to Metro, get to know the owner, find out what he/she is all about and then decide if they should get my business (oh and if the food is good, I guess that's a bonus)

Robin, I totally hear you on the NRA thing, but the NRA has been a problem for a very long time so spotlighting them now feels more reactionary than anything.

I just feel like we are all falling into the "us vs. them" trap here when things are NEVER that simple. We all know Papa John is a Capitalist tool, he flaunts that all over town like it's a good thing. So yeah, his dreadful pizza isn't going to get a dime of my money. Sure Chick fil'A will try to pray your gay away, so despite that chicken being really good, it's not getting a dime of my money. But when it comes to the person who owns Silver Dollar? I have no idea. And if it's really important to me, I guess I need to do the legwork to find out who they voted for/get their money from, otherwise I am happy to go, enjoy the food and assume that the owner is a good person who just wants to provide me a good meal, unless they come out and drop a copy of Mein Kampf off with my menu.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am

For the record, I was being semi-facetious when saying "All republicans are evil". My restaurateur dining policy is "Don't ask, Don't tell." I'm not seeking out your political affiliation, but if you rub it in my face...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:34 pm

RonnieD wrote:I'm not advocating ignorance, necessarily, but if this is what we're doing now, then every restaurant review here needs to provide the political leaning of the owner, chef and server. That way we can be sure we are helping/hurting the right people. Since there are no such thing as Good Conservatives or Bad Democrats so let's get out those broad brushes and paint ourselves to pieces. Doesn't seem at all like what's wrong with society in general. :roll:

Ronnie, in general I agree. I do not go Googling every eatery to see what the owner posts. I just happened to run into this one when I was looking up Bloomin' Brands with the intention of complimenting their Bonefish and Carrabba's properties and expressing a hope that Metro Diner will be as well run. Totally positive intent.

I have to tell you, though, when I hit that wiki page, their contributions jumped right out at me.

So I guess what I'm saying is this. I really don't want to know the political leanings of local restaurant operators, because I don't want my thoughts about the eatery to be based on side issues of whether I consider the owners political views healthy and positive or dangerous and idiotic. :twisted:

But - thinking about this as I go - if a national corporate chain is in the practice of making regular contributions to politicians, lobby groups and PACs, I think it's entirely reasonable to examine who they are and even to make a decision about how much I want to support them. Like Chick-Fil-A.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:06 pm

To get this thread somewhat back on topic I was out at Jefferson Commons today and I could not locate where they might place this diner. There is a HUGE place right beside Liquor Barn that is recently vacated. It looks too big for a "diner", maybe I am wrong. Where is this going to be in JC??
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Tony G wrote:To get this thread somewhat back on topic

Thanks, Tony! :)
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:30 pm

One of the very reasons I quit visiting this site with much regularity, and have not posted in months.......everyone has an opinion, for sure, but the political side of it really gets on my nerves. Can't we simply talk about food?

Robin Garr wrote:On the other hand, via Wikipedia, I'm just going to put this out there ...

Political contributions
Bloomin' Brands has a conservative leaning political action committee called the Bloomin' Brands, Inc. Political Action Committee.[9] Bloomin' Brands, Inc. Political Action Committee is a PAC during the 2016 election. As of the most recent financial filing from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the committee raised a total of $347,483 and spent a total of $253,075. During the 2014 election, as of the most recent financial filing from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the committee raised a total of $976,793 and spent a total of $767,249. Some of their political spending included $5,000 to the NRA, $30,000 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, $45,000 to the National Republican Congressional Committee, and $15,000 to the Republican Party of Wisconsin.[10]
BShep
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Okay, check out this detailed map of Jefferson Commons (page down at the link to find the map). Metro Diner is Suite 100, which appears to be in the far upper right (northwest) corner of the center.

http://www.jllproperty.us/assets/doc/je ... 363683.pdf
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Bryan Shepherd wrote:One of the very reasons I quit visiting this site with much regularity, and have not posted in months.......everyone has an opinion, for sure, but the political side of it really gets on my nerves. Can't we simply talk about food?

You're always welcome here, Bryan. I won't make any promises, because this group is like a crowd in a friendly bar - I'm not going to censor conversations, including my own. But I can tell you that we'll talk <i>mostly</i> about food. Come on around! :)
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:57 pm

STEPPING ON TO SOAP BOX

I don't agree with your particular political bend, but I will defend to the death your right to express it, however misguided it is.

I am a Libertarian. Get government out of my wallet and my bedroom. Defend the country and stop spying on all of us.

Seems to me that those on the left espousing that you should not support companies who donate to right wing nut PACs or other similar political groups are EXACTLY the same as those on the right espousing that anyone who gives to that left wing nut, commie liberal group, the ACLU should not be supported. The problem is not that money is given, it's that it goes to PACs. Giving it to non-profits like the NRA or ACLU is not the same thing. Either of them using that money to support political causes through a PAC is wrong. And, I support BOTH of those groups. In that specific case both work to preserve and protect the constitution.

I love two things after family, the First Amendment and boobs.

Anyone who doesn't agree with that is totally lacking in common sense, is ill-advised and uninformed.
STEPPING DOWN FROM SOAP BOX.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
PreviousNext