Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Metro Diner chain coming to Jefferson Commons, hiring 100

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Metro Diner, https://metrodiner.com, a growing Florida-based chain of eateries in the "classic diner" tradition, is coming to Jefferson Commons on Outer Loop in October. They're seeking applications for 100 jobs in all positions.

For details check the forum jobs board, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24850
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Metro Diner chain coming to Jefferson Commons, hiring 10

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 pm

It sounds sort of interesting, I wonder what drew them to Louisville considering it's quite a ways outside of the area whether other restaurants are located. You would think that because of our great local oriented dining scene it would scare restaurants like this way. Although, we really are a little short on the diner side and there is certainly room for a really good one. Hopefully they will open a couple of locations more convenient for most of us.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Mark R. wrote:...Hopefully they will open a couple of locations more convenient for most of us.

It's proposed for Outer Loop. That's convenient to about half of the Metro area. Are they not "us"?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Mark R. wrote:...Hopefully they will open a couple of locations more convenient for most of us.

It's proposed for Outer Loop. That's convenient to about half of the Metro area. Are they not "us"?

They've also got five locations in Indiana and some in Pennsy, so they've pretty much bracketed Kentucky.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 pm

So is their stuff still made from scratch 42 restaurants later, or is it made from scratch "inspired?" Has anyone eaten at any of these places outside of the ma and pa original?
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:34 pm

James Natsis wrote:So is their stuff still made from scratch 42 restaurants later, or is it made from scratch "inspired?" Has anyone eaten at any of these places outside of the ma and pa original?

Pardon my cynicism, but when a 42-restaurant chain tells me its food is "made from scratch," I go "nuh-huh." It's not unlike Panera bragging (I assume they still do) that their bread is "baked fresh daily," where in fact it comes in par-baked loaves on trucks from a central commissary to be finished in Panera's local ovens. That's not entirely a bad thing. It certainly replicates fresh-baked bread. But it's still over-claiming, and I expect Metro Diner does the same.
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

by Ryan Rogers » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:58 pm

so it's a bob evans? yawn.
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Ryan Rogers wrote:so it's a bob evans? yawn.

But! But! "Scratch cooking!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

bern.rehberg

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:43 pm

by bern.rehberg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi, Everyone! As the local partner, I'd like to thank you, Robin, for the coverage of our new Metro Diner! We have been working a long time on getting our local team hired, trained and ready to open, so we could not be more excited! At Metro Diner, we put a lot of love into the preparation of the food we serve to our friends, family and guests. We make our dressings, soups, sauces and compotes from scratch. We roast our own turkey, corned beef and pot roast in house. We hand-slice our deli meats and cheese. We do not make our bread in-house, however, we do have it specially baked for us. We spend countless hours preparing dishes like our famous Meatloaf Plate and Chicken Pot Pie from scratch. Our Fried Chicken comes in fresh and is brined for 24 hours and marinated for an additional 24 before it’s ever ready to hand-bread, drop in the fryer and cook to perfection. Our burgers are made from a "custom blend" that always come in fresh, never frozen. I appreciate the commentary on this but I can assure you that we do everything in our power to put the best possible product in front of our guests while keeping the consistency they have come to love! I really hope you...and everyone...comes and tries us! And please ask for me (Bern) or my Managing Partner, Len! We would love to meet you, personally welcome you and answer any questions anyone has about anything! Thank you!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for dropping by, Bern! I look forward to giving Metro Diner a try.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 pm

We live right by Iroquois Park and we will certainly give you guys a try. It's kind of a food desert out here.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 am

Mark R. wrote: You would think that because of our great local oriented dining scene it would scare restaurants like this way.

That's why it's in the south end.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am

Mark R. wrote:You would think that because of our great local oriented dining scene it would scare restaurants like this way. .

There was an article on Insider that reported the management team was involved locally in Bonefish Grill and several other restaurants - all chains, and all successful here. Looks like they know what they're doing.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:59 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:Bonefish Grill and several other restaurants - all chains, and all successful here. Looks like they know what they're doing.

Bonefish and its sibling Carrabba are part of the Bloomin' Brands corporate empire, which also includes Outback and Fleming's Prime Steakhouse under its corporate umbrella. I've always been impressed with the chain for exceeding expectation for large corporate dining. They've struck me as getting the point that you can't win on profit alone without having at least some focus on quality and customer service. In my experience, not all large chains get that, but they do. This background makes me more hopeful about Metro Diner.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:05 am

On the other hand, via Wikipedia, I'm just going to put this out there ...

Political contributions
Bloomin' Brands has a conservative leaning political action committee called the Bloomin' Brands, Inc. Political Action Committee.[9] Bloomin' Brands, Inc. Political Action Committee is a PAC during the 2016 election. As of the most recent financial filing from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the committee raised a total of $347,483 and spent a total of $253,075. During the 2014 election, as of the most recent financial filing from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the committee raised a total of $976,793 and spent a total of $767,249. Some of their political spending included $5,000 to the NRA, $30,000 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, $45,000 to the National Republican Congressional Committee, and $15,000 to the Republican Party of Wisconsin.[10]
Next