Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Indiana (New Albany) drink laws?

by Willie Myers » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 am

hi all, I'm looking for someone who's familiar with the alchohol beverage service reg.s in Indiana - particularly New Albany.

My wife and I went in to a well-known N.A. restaurant last Friday. We were seated and I went out front for a puff. When the server came up to my wife, she ordered her cocktail and a bourbon for me. He told her that he could not - by law - take the order of the bourbon for someone who wasn't actually sitting at the table, at the time the the order was placed.
She thought it odd....

I can recall years ago some weird alchohol service statutes in Ga. (ATL), but had never heard of anything like this up here. Have you?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Indiana (New Albany) drink laws?

by Mark R. » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:12 pm

I don't know what the laws are in NA or Indiana but, I wonder if possibly it was because the waiter never seen you sitting at the table so you couldn't be sure it wasn't for a minor? If he'd already seen you or your order a drink previously I don't see where it would be an issue.
Last edited by Mark R. on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Yeah, I don't know Indiana law in general, but thinking about alcohol law in general, ABC seems to regard selling underage as a major crime on the same level as high treason or child abuse. It doesn't really surprise me that you get pushback from ordering a drink for an absent friend.

Willie, I don't know your age bracket, but are you young enough that this question might occur to a server, particularly in a time when a lot of places card under 40?
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am

The minor thing is the issue. This is more prevalent at a restaurant where the likelihood of minors is increased over say a bar or pub, which may have minor patrons in the early hours, but not as a general rule. Generally, a server needs to be able to see each person to which a drink is assigned upon ordering. Not sure the specific laws in play, but that's the accepted etiquette I have been taught.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY