Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Hull & High Water opening Sept. 28

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:36 am

Eric Morris's sister operation to Gospel Bird, Hull & High Water in New Albany is opening in a week, according to this WLKY-32 video report:

http://www.wlky.com/article/new-albany- ... g/12440363
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Hull & High Water opening Sept. 28

by Bill Veneman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 pm

In a word....

EXCITED!!!!!!!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:47 pm

We were so excited when we saw the article on television about it! Maybe this will lead to Louisville getting a couple of other fresh seafood restaurants! I never have understood why we don't have several true seafood restaurants, especially considering how easy it is to ship stuff in via UPS. Many restaurants have good seafood specials but we really don't have any restaurant that is truly a seafood restaurant where you know you can go and get a variety of seafood items on a regular basis.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Mark R. wrote: we really don't have any restaurant that is truly a seafood restaurant where you know you can go and get a variety of seafood items on a regular basis.

Mitchell's? It's no longer a chain, I'm told. Or Bonefish, which is actually pretty good for a chain?

Or Seviche? Yeah, they have a few non-fish dishes, but it's 90 percent seafood, and scrupulously chosen for sustainability, too. You've been to Seviche, haven't you, Mark? I'd put it up against the best seafood restaurants anywhere.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:43 am

Mark R. wrote: Many restaurants have good seafood specials but we really don't have any restaurant that is truly a seafood restaurant where you know you can go and get a variety of seafood items on a regular basis.

Doesn't River House fit this description? Brendan's Catch 23, as well?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:Doesn't River House fit this description? Brendan's Catch 23, as well?

Those too.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Mitchell's? It's no longer a chain, I'm told. Or Bonefish, which is actually pretty good for a chain?

Or Seviche? Yeah, they have a few non-fish dishes, but it's 90 percent seafood, and scrupulously chosen for sustainability, too. You've been to Seviche, haven't you, Mark? I'd put it up against the best seafood restaurants anywhere.

Mitchell's is a part of Landry's Inc . . . they own Morton's, Ruth's Criss's, and other top steakhouses, but among their seafooders are Mitchell's, Landry's, Oceanaire, McCormick & Schmick, and even Bubba Gump! I had hoped Mitchell's would improve when Landry's bought them, but IMHO it hasn't happened yet.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Oops, sorry . . . Landry's owns Mastro's Steakhouse chain & all the BRGuest Restaurants, but does not own Ruth's Criss's.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Mitchell's is a part of Landry's Inc . . . they own Morton's, Ruth's Criss's, and other top steakhouses, but among their seafooders are Mitchell's, Landry's, Oceanaire, McCormick & Schmick, and even Bubba Gump! I had hoped Mitchell's would improve when Landry's bought them, but IMHO it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks for the update, Andrew. I'm sure I was confusing them with Martini Italian Bistro on the other side of the street.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote: Mitchell's is a part of Landry's...

Yep, I thought it started life here as a chain (out of Cincy or Columbus), then went locally owned, and now part of Landry's. We have always liked it, but, as you say, have noticed no improvement since the Landry's move.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Mitchell's? It's no longer a chain, I'm told. Or Bonefish, which is actually pretty good for a chain?

I won't make any further comments on Mitchell's because several previous posters have basically echoed what I would say. Bonefish is okay but again their selection of seafood items is very limited and what they have is stuffed, crested or whatever.

Seviche is very good but again it's not really a seafood restaurant. As far as just seafood goes my feelings are about the same as they are for bonefish. Every fish dish they have is made into something else such as tacos, cigars or whatever.
Steve Eslinger wrote:Doesn't River House fit this description? Brendan's Catch 23, as well?

Steve, I had great hopes for River house but after being there several times we decided that it also really doesn't fit the bill. They have a very limited amount of seafood on their menu other than the raw bar. Most of what I have is salmon, shrimp, scallops or a fried seafood platter.

We haven't been to Catch 23 yet, I looking at their menu they may be the closest Louisville has to what we are looking for.

I guess we spent too much time on Hilton Head and other places along the Atlantic coast as well the Gulf Coast when he lived in South Carolina enjoying seafood restaurants that didn't make you think you were at Red Lobster. I want fish as fish, I don't want it fried, stuffed or crusted. Several local restaurants, especially Selena's have very good seafood specials like what I'm talking about but they are not on the regular menu so you can't decide that we would like to quote for dinner tonight and have fish and go to a restaurant knowing you will get it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Seviche is very good but again it's not really a seafood restaurant. As far as just seafood goes my feelings are about the same as they are for bonefish. Every fish dish they have is made into something else such as tacos, cigars or whatever.
Steve Eslinger wrote:

I guess we spent too much time on Hilton Head and other places along the Atlantic coast as well the Gulf Coast when he lived in South Carolina enjoying seafood restaurants that didn't make you think you were at Red Lobster. .

I guess there's some poor dude in South Carolina saying, "boy, I wish we had some places I could go to that offered 150 bourbons or where I could go do some bourbon tastings with other people like we did up in Kentucky."
James J. Natsis
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 am

Mike Linnig's
Fishery
Brendan's Catch 23
Kingfish
Riverhouse
Seafood Lady (still open?)
Rumors
The Fish House (Cafe Beignet)
Z's Oyster Bar
Mitchell's
Joe's Crab Shack

I think we have a pretty good assortment ranging from fish sandwiches to high end fare.

RIP: Mazzoni's
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:07 am

I will add one more that never seems to get a mention.

Fishery Station on the Outer Loop. This was originally a franchise from the Fishery St Matthews. Now an independent operation
The fish selections are basically like the St Matthews location.

Since the owner (can't remember name) is Middle Eastern, he also has a lot of selections of gyros etc.

Great place. Food very good and consistent. Order and pay at counter and delivered to your table.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:52 pm

Also, Shark's Seafood opened in McMahan Plaza (HIkes Point) a few months ago. I've never eaten there, so I can't attest to the quality.
Next