Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Volare changes

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Volare changes

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 am

Volare has updated its decor and menu. I couldn't discern a huge difference in the appearance of the space, but I thought it looked great before. However, the changes in the menu are outstanding. As has been well covered in the press, Chef Josh Moore brought a pasta extruder with different brass dyes back from Italy. As a result the pasta section of the menu has been updated with some fantastic new options. We had the lumache (snail shell shape) pasta in a type of quick bolognese style sauce made with ground veal. It was excellent. We also saw a really interesting presentation of carbonara served table side after being mixed in a glass jar. We will definitely order that next time. This has always been our go-to restaurant for Italian in Louisville, and I think it just got better.

Robin, you now have a good excuse to go update your last review of Volare!
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: Volare changes

by neal.johnson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:30 am

Volare is one of the best in the city. I was there last week and the specials alone were incredible. Seabass, pasta special, etc. They've also revamped their cocktail list which includes......a spicy beet margarita.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Robin, you now have a good excuse to go update your last review of Volare!

Yasssss! :mrgreen:

I've been impressed with Josh's work for a long time, and even in a competitive environment with several decent options, they're the go-to for chef-driven Italian. (I gotta admit I like Ciao, and love its bar program, and Porcini is always worthy, but Volare is taking it to another level now.)
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

yes, we also love Porcini, and we are regulars there. But, for some reason, rightly or wrongly, we consider Porcini and Volare as different types of restaurants. Both do Italian in their own way, but for me, Porcini is more than in Jack Fry's category. Volare is more purely Italian focused. At the end of the day, its just great to have them both within walking distance!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 am

Ron Johnson wrote:At the end of the day, its just great to have them both within walking distance!

Absolutely! Us, too.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:34 am

Try their Brooklyn cocktail. It's fantastic!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei