Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Indian at Himalayan makes us happy

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 am

Indian at Himalayan makes us happy

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Aloo matter, Himalayan-style potatoes and peas at Himalayan Restaurant.

I can’t think of a better way to get my attention than to tell me about a new eatery that serves world cuisine. Clue me in, and I’ll be there before you can drop a Salvadorian pupusa. Heck, even another Thai, Korean, Indian or Mexican joint will get my motor running.

So when I learned that a new Indian place, Himalayan Restaurant, had opened on Bardstown Road at virtually the same time as El Taco Luchador launched its new St. Matthews branch, I started spinning like a falling cat with buttered toast strapped to his back.

Flip a coin? Nah, let’s do both. I’m tough. I can handle an Indian repast and a taco lunch during the same week, right?

Himalayan Restaurant popped up in mid-August in the glitzy black-marble and glass venue that had housed Brownie’s The Shed, and there hasn’t been much change in its upscale sports-bar look; even the framed pictures of the Green Bay Packers’ Lambeau Field and sports heroes’ portraits remain on the walls.

The food, though, is all new, and it’s pretty good Indian cuisine, worth a return trip. Despite the name of the restaurant, which was endowed by its Nepalese-immigrant owner, the cuisine is not Himalayan, mostly, but familiar Indian fare, leavened by the presence of momos (Nepal’s and Tibet’s answer to potstickers) and a couple of Indian dishes noted as Himalayan style. ...

Himalayan Restaurant
1578 Bardstown Road
708-1477
http://himalayanlouisville.com
https://facebook.com/BardstownHimalayan
Robin Garr’s rating: 80 points

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/india ... s-us-happy

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

The referenced El Taco Luchador review mentioned above starts here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24825
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Indian at Himalayan makes us happy

by Adam Robinson » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:34 pm

I've been here three times now. It continues to get better, especially as they've mostly stopped doing the hovering service bit (I know since I eat by myself a lot nowadays people assuming I'm probably a reviewer). The people are incredibly nice and helpful. Only bad things I have to say about it are the same things I had to say about Brownie's, e.g. fix the stupid sticking door! :D
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Adam Robinson wrote:Only bad things I have to say about it are the same things I had to say about Brownie's, e.g. fix the stupid sticking door! :D

Interesting -- I've check 2-3 times when the "open" sign was on, pulled on the door and couldn't open it, then walked away. Now I know, but they've already lost a little business due to that door.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:08 am

Finally made it over there for lunch this week. The "Himalayan" aspects are pretty limited, but there is a great selection of traditional Indian fare. I do find the framed photos of sports stadiums to be hilarious and out of place. That aside, my lamb vindaloo was a terrific lunch, and came in a portion that could have been two lunches. Spicy - yes, but not so much. I think when I asked for "hot" I actually got "American hot." The buffet looked pretty weak to me, but others may disagree. Regardless, I'll be back (read with a slightly Austrian accent).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:18 am

I think that's a fair analysis, TP. They want to survive on Bardstown Road, and satisfying hungry hipsters is more valuable than doing authenticity for the sake of a few foodies. Ditto the decor: If the sports photos left over from Brownie's are bright and colorful, why spend hard-earned bucks on a few elephants and Buddhas and a big Taj Mahal? ;)