Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Best Seafood in Town Right Now?

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 pm

We are planning on taking my Mother in Law out to Z's Oyster Bar for her birthday in October. The pros are it's an old style type place (such as Vincenzo's, Volare' and Pat's) with a lot of seafood. (one of the few things she eats) The cons are the prices are very high, and the reviews are average.

I was just wondering if we are making the best choice (she only just moved here last year so has never been there) or if I'm missing out on someplace better for her?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Best Seafood in Town Right Now?

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm going to say Seviche. It's not 100 percent seafood, but they do seafood very well, and they have a strong commitment to sustainable seafood and fish. In my opinion, it's always in the city's top five spots and can hit No. 1 on any given day.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 pm

You may want to call Morton's! They usually have a special going on that's on the order of a three course dinner (salad, steak/fish/shrimp/chicken, and souffle) for a price in the $40's. It's well cooked, the seafood is fresh, and it's an "old style" setting for an affordable price (about the same as for a main course alone at Seviche or Z's!).

Also, at a similar price to Seviche, Rivue is a fun experience, albeit a pricy one.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 am

We had an excellent experience at River House. Beautiful setting, views of the river. Our food was fresh and delicious. Prices are a bit high but we would go again in a minute!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:09 am

http://bistro1860.com/

Bistro 1860 kills it with seafood dishes. Quite a few on the regular menu and usually 2-3 on the specials menu. All excellent and inventive.

OYSTER ON THE HALF $3 .

meyer lemon champagne mingonette, peppercorn, harissa .

HAMACHI CEVICHE $10 - 19 .

red curry, coconut, lime, avocado, house chip .

KAJIKI TORO SASHIMI $9 – 18 – 27 .

charred pineapple, orange blossom water, sherry, thai chile, bourbon barrel soy, house chip .

LOBSTER HUSH PUPPY $6 – 12 – 18 .

lemon hollandaise, blood orange gastrique, candied jalapeño .

SEARED DIVER SCALLOP $13 – 25 – 37 .

green tomato brown sugar broth, horseradish cream, pickled apple, aged balarina goat cheese .

PAN SEARED WILD KING SALMON $13 – 25 – 37 .

wasabi lime yogurt, cucumber, salmon roe, crystallized basil .
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:14 am

I'm going to second Riverhouse. I had an outstanding scallop dish last time we were there and the patio is lovely if the weather is nice.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks all, for the suggestions!

It wasn't the price of Z's so much as the prices combined with the reviews that had me second-guessing it.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

scott.wade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

by scott.wade » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:24 am

Not a "seafood restaurant", but the seafood and seafood pasta dishes at Porcini are excellent.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:49 am

I've had terrific seafood at Lilly's lately, although the selections are somewhat limited.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:17 pm

The Seafood Lady--barabook, baraboom!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

viktor.navarro

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 16, 2017 2:50 am

by viktor.navarro » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:19 am

I wouldn't actually recommend Seviche that was mentioned above. They have the worst service and it feels like they are trying to cheat you while serving the food - the portions and appetizers are so small they must calculate them using a microscope. There are many much better, cleaner and cheaper seafood restaurants around, for sure. the people above have a pretty good idea, though I'm not that familiar with the seafood map myself.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 am

Have you had a bad personal experience at Seviche, Viktor? That's a pretty rough review of a place that many people regard highly.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:33 pm

viktor.navarro wrote:I wouldn't actually recommend Seviche that was mentioned above. They have the worst service and it feels like they are trying to cheat you while serving the food - the portions and appetizers are so small they must calculate them using a microscope. There are many much better, cleaner and cheaper seafood restaurants around, for sure. the people above have a pretty good idea, though I'm not that familiar with the seafood map myself.

I really have to question this one. I've been to Seviche dozens of times, and had bad service exactly once, which was due to a table assignment mix-up, and which was so thoroughly resolved we actually felt bad (re: we didn't think they needed to credit so much back to our tab, though it was appreciated).

I also don't understand the portion size bit. Unless it has changed in the last month or so, the portions have always been pretty industry standard.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Adam Robinson wrote:I really have to question this one.

+2. Doesn't match up at all with my experience.
no avatar
User

viktor.navarro

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 16, 2017 2:50 am

by viktor.navarro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:57 am

Robin Garr wrote:Have you had a bad personal experience at Seviche, Viktor? That's a pretty rough review of a place that many people regard highly.

Yes, I did. I don't know, maybe I'm extremely unlucky, since people are so surprised I didn't like it, but the place left a bad impression. The food itself was okay, though.
Next