Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Favorite casual dinner spots

no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Favorite casual dinner spots

by Alanna H » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:21 pm

I know there are a ton of restaurants in Louisville I've never been to, because we're so bad about not going out of our general part of town. The other night my son and I wanted to go out for dinner and my mind just blanked...I couldn't think of anything casual that sounded good.
So I figured, let me ask the pros. What are your favorite places to grab a relatively inexpensive, casual dinner? Not a chain (obviously), and that isn't Mexican (we eat so much of it we're just burnt out), pizza, or sandwiches/salads? Due to medical reasons, my body doesn't process carbs very well, so pizza, pasta, and sandwiches are out.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Favorite casual dinner spots

by Mike D » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Have you tried Red Hog on Frankfort Avenue? It is meat-heavy, casual, reasonably priced and has a great vibe.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Red Hog, also Caffe Classico, when the main room opens evenings for dinner. It's often overlooked because people think of it as an espresso shop and lunch spot, but they have a very good dinner menu that does include excellent dinner salads and other low-carb options. Game, maybe? I've noticed some major remodeling and expansion going on over there. I don't think you'll have a hard time finding options in this category.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Mojito
Cumberland Brewery
Simply Thai
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Captain's Quarters ... nothing better than the Riverside deck on a nice night, having a drink, watching the boats, and the food is both reasonable and better than you would expect.
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:26 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:Captain's Quarters ... nothing better than the Riverside deck on a nice night, having a drink, watching the boats, and the food is both reasonable and better than you would expect.

I would second this! I'm a fan of how they give you preparation options for their fish/seafood. I love their blackened Barramundi or shrimp prepared low-country style. I remember several years ago I was usually quite underwhelmed with their food, but in the past couple of years they've really stepped up their game.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:47 am

Uptown Cafe (burger is amazing, and lots of other good stuff at decent prices)
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Goose Creek Diner and Aspen Creek (a chain, I know) stand out if you want meat and veggies. Havana Rumba and Grape Leaf perhaps, they probably would have options for low-carb.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:04 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned Shady Lane Cafe!
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 am

The Cheddar Box Cafe in Middletown is open for dinner...you could get a meat (they had a tomato artichoke chicken breast once that was amazing) and salad.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Jerusalem Cafe's new location on Preston has a much better feel, actually feels like a restaurant -- food is the same great stuff Sami has always had in his various locations.

Tip: He has an off-menu sampler platter that is awesome. 4 meats, Rice, Falafel, and choice of 3 salads (hummus, baba, lentil, Turkish, Greek, Tabouli, etc) One of the best feasts in town, imo -- for around $20 iirc, feeds 3-4.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:54 am

Please join us at Noosh Nosh-- we have a variety of menu items , and are happy to adjust any items to your needs. Heart & Soy/ Roots , Charim, Mayan Cafe... Louisville has so many great choices for independents! :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 am

Paula B wrote:Please join us at Noosh Nosh

Seconded! I should have thought about that in the first place. :)
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:41 am

Thanks to all for the wonderful replies. I really shouldn't have read this thread when my stomach is growling so hard!

Robin, we have been to SLC (and loved it), but I thought they were only open for lunch. Checked online to be sure and see that they now have dinner hours on Fri/Sat. I may have squealed just a bit and scared the dogs.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:20 am

I have been on a Time 4 Thai kick for quite a while. The varying combinations of savory, heat and sweet has me hooked. They have broken the curse of that location and it is now my #1 place for Thai in Louisville.