Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jimmy Can't Dance

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Jimmy Can't Dance

by James Natsis » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:52 am

No, I'm not referring to myself.........but rather to the name of the new jazz club on 7th St in the basement of Another Place Sandwich Shop across from 21C Hotel.

They opened last weekend to a select-guest audience and are now fully open to the public. I spent a few hours there last night.

Its a really nice space downstairs for jazz and people can circulate upstairs in the sandwich shop area where they can pick from a limited menu (at least for now while they tinker with what works best). I had a shrimp remoulade sandwich on french bread that was very tasty. The cocktails and wine selections are adequate and although there is beer, there was nothing on tap.

It was nice to be in a place committed to jazz. They had a trio playing early at 7:00, then another group come on later about 10:30 or so. There were a lot of young people there as the evening progressed.

They reached out well to the jazz community including the U of L music program and WFPK (the station does a string of Sunday shows dedicated to jazz). So I think they'll do well as the downtown undergoes many changes with double hotel capacity, a new conference center, and a bourbon scene that fits well with a jazz club venue.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Jimmy Can't Dance

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks for the report, James! You subject line actually did prompt me to read it right away to make sure you weren't reporting something bad. :oops: Your comments on Jimmy Can't Dance made me feel nostalgic for The Jazz Factory.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:29 pm

The Jazz Factory was great. This place has great potential.

Jim Goodwin started Another Place Sandwich Shop years ago. He has passed away but I understand his son now runs the only remaining location and has started "Jimmy can't Dance". The basement should make a fine venue.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:39 am

It's kinda of cool the way the building is set up with the open area above where the band plays. I wasn't there during a performance but I could see where the music could easily filter through all three levels of the building.

On a side note, I was in for lunch and the Reuben was delicious and the service was friendly. I like that place.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:13 pm

We have never succeeded as a community in supporting a true jazz club/restaurant in this community for more than a few years at a time. I hope this time is different, and that we have enough jazz fans to pull it off. All the best to JCD.