Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

First Impression Top Round

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

First Impression Top Round

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm

My wife was in St. Matthews today around lunchtime and the crowd didn't look real bad so she stopped into Top Round pick us up a couple of sandwiches from their. She got me a Black and Blue Sandwich and got herself a Mushroom Swiss Sandwich. She said that the service was quite good considering they were new and had a decent crowd. Their menu is quite limited which probably isn't a bad thing.

Both of our sandwiches were quite good but her Mushroom Swiss was better in my opinion, it was quite a bit more flavorful. My Black and Blue was good but there wasn't much heat to the black part and there was no whole lot of blue cheese either. She said the French fries looks good, they are curly ones but she didn't get any for us.

Our biggest issue with the sandwiches was the price versus the quantity of meat you get. I'm guessing each sandwich had about 1/4 pound of meat certainly no more than that. The meat was certainly tender and the rolls were soft and flavorful but the total for two sandwiches came to almost $20! We will deftly try to get in the future after things settle down however.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: First Impression Top Round

by MarieP » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 am

My dad and I went on Friday, and we were going to use the drive-through, but it wasn't open yet. It took a little longer than we anticipated to order inside, though we expected there were going to be issues with it being newly opened.

We weren't overly impressed-- it was expensive for the amount of meat/toppings given. I love horseradish, but watch out for the Beef on Weck...too hot!!! The "dirty" fries and gravy fries were decent...though we couldn't tell much difference between the one with cheese and the one without.

We plan to try the custard, but not necessarily go back for the beef. we actually prefer Arby's Beef n Cheddar with extra red sauce...
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:50 pm

.......total for two sandwiches came to almost $20!

Let's see, about $10 for a stingy beef sandwich, or $10 for an Indian or Ethiopian buffet? Hum...
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:06 am

James Natsis wrote:Let's see, about $10 for a stingy beef sandwich, or $10 for an Indian or Ethiopian buffet? Hum...

no avatar
User

scott.wade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

by scott.wade » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for the report Mark. I have been waiting for it to open.