Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Dining at Harvest is like eating at a farmers’ market

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:57 am

Dining at Harvest is like eating at a farmers’ market

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Harvest’s smoked Marksbury Farm pork loin chop with red-eye gravy foam.

Who doesn’t like to spend a summer Saturday morning browsing a farmers’ market, loading up on fresh veggies, enjoying a breakfast burrito or a barbecue sandwich, listening to music and running into friends? That’s what I love about Harvest Restaurant: It’s like a big farmers’ market that’s open all year, with air-conditioning and table service!

So it’s no surprise that Ivor Chodkowski, a longtime leader in Louisville’s field-to-table movement and proprietor of farmers’ market favorite Field Day Farms, was the mind behind six-year-old Harvest, a local destination that celebrates farm-fresh local food and the farmers who grow it.

Decor speaks of the farm, too, with rough-hewn wood tables and room dividers; side chairs are comfortable blond wood, and oversize portraits of local farmers adorn the walls. A large wall map of the region bears circles and arrows connecting each farmer with the location of his or her property. Tables along the walls have small farmhouse-style lamps for cozy illumination. Tables are set with good white napkins, assorted old-style flatware, and fancy stemless wine glasses.

A bar along one side of the room is equipped with a massive list of 150 bourbons and another 50 whiskeys and ryes from around the world, plus cocktails and well-chosen selections of beer and wine too. We enjoyed a light, hoppy Founder’s All Day IPA ($4) and a “Berry Patch” cocktail ($10), a smooth and seductive blend of Rain vodka with strawberry-rhubarb and lime juices and basil syrup

I’ve admired Harvest since the very start, but I have to say that the arrival late in 2015 of Executive Chef Patrick Roney from his post as chef de cuisine at The Oakroom has taken Harvest to the next level. After a near-flawless dinner the other night, I’m not shy about declaring the food at Harvest on par with the city’s top tables. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/dinin ... ers-market

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Harvest Restaurant
624 E. Market St.
384-9090
http://harvestlouisville.com
https://facebook.com/HarvestLouisville
https://instagram.com/harvest502
Robin Garr’s rating: 91 points
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Dining at Harvest is like eating at a farmers’ market

by TP Lowe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 am

Just one of my favorites. Thanks for the review, Robin.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:40 am

TP Lowe wrote:Just one of my favorites. Thanks for the review, Robin.

To be honest, I loved it at the beginning, went to dinner now and then, but then was pretty disappointed by a couple of lackluster brunches. Moved on, and just the other day wondered how they were faring with Patrick at the helm. I'm glad we tried it.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:57 am

Probably the best dining experience (dinner) I've had in town but I don't understand their pricing. Are they shipping their food from California farms? $$$$$$$
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:29 am

neal.johnson wrote:Probably the best dining experience (dinner) I've had in town but I don't understand their pricing. Are they shipping their food from California farms? $$$$$$$

Maybe you'd enjoy dinner more at Twig & Leaf?
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:11 am

Farm to table isn't cheap. They could be shipping the food in from their backyard and still incur high food cost. People think this stuff is simple because "I have a garden in my backyard," but it's a lot of work and a lot of cost. This is why the agriculture industry is no joke.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 am

RonnieD wrote:Farm to table isn't cheap. They could be shipping the food in from their backyard and still incur high food cost. People think this stuff is simple because "I have a garden in my backyard," but it's a lot of work and a lot of cost. This is why the agriculture industry is no joke.

All the above plus the reality that hot spots in NuLu, Frankfort Avenue, Bardstown Road, etc., that do great work get good prices for it because they can. Is Harvest out of line with Decca or Rye?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:All the above plus the reality that hot spots in NuLu, Frankfort Avenue, Bardstown Road, etc., that do great work get good prices for it because they can. Is Harvest out of line with Decca or Rye?

I don't think so - they all seem comparable to me (in terms of pricing).
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:Probably the best dining experience (dinner) I've had in town but I don't understand their pricing. Are they shipping their food from California farms? $$$$$$$

Maybe you'd enjoy dinner more at Twig & Leaf?

Awww. How cute, Robin.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:46 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Maybe you'd enjoy dinner more at Twig & Leaf?

Awww. How cute, Robin.[/quote]
:oops: Sorry, Neal.

But seriously, it's in the same price range as its neighbors Decca and Rye, and the idea that they should charge less because their food is local really did seem to cry out for snark.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm

Most entrees are in the lower 20's, like the Mayan Cafe. Decca is more, the Garage Bar and Grind (for what you get) are comparable to me. Wild Rita's and Feast a bit cheaper. In quality, and given the lengthy Louisville roots, I think it's on par in price and quality with the Mayan Cafe.

TANGENT: Bruce and Co. from Mayan are opening a new (I think) food truck at the nearby Gravely Brewery, which opened today. Lots of cheaper fare from the great restaurant, cooked fresh on site. Info and menu can be found on the Gravely website. http://www.gravelybrewing.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:15 pm

SilvioM wrote:TANGENT: Bruce and Co. from Mayan are opening a new (I think) food truck at the nearby Gravely Brewery, which opened today. Lots of cheaper fare from the great restaurant, cooked fresh on site. Info and menu can be found on the Gravely website. http://www.gravelybrewing.com

I think it opened today, Silvio. Can't wait to check it out!