Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best veggie burger?

no avatar
User

Ginger Harris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:01 am

Best veggie burger?

by Ginger Harris » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 am

Looking for the best veggie burger in town to celebrate a birthday. Anyone have a favorite?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Best veggie burger?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:19 am

Grind Burger Kitchen in NuLu has a good one, and so does BBC Burgers on Frankfort at Cannons Lane. Or you could go to Morels for some amazing vegan fare that tastes like meat. They don't have veggie burgers, but the Farby (fake Arby) is amazing, and so are the pulled "pork" sliders.
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:55 am

Game has three separate house-made veggie burgers on their menu. I have not tried them yet, as the Elk usually calls my name when I'm there, but they all sound delicious. From their website:

Field (veggie burgers):

Grilled Corn, Poblano, Garbanzo
greens, tomato, pickles brie, smoked truffle mayo, on brioche bun

Grilled Mushrooms, Red Lentil
greens, tomato, slaw, roasted garlic aioli, on everything bun

Walnut, Quinoa
brie, smoked apple chutney, curry mayo, greens, on whole wheat bun

And for dessert, I recommend their Peanut Butter Pie.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Jessica H wrote:Game has three separate house-made veggie burgers on their menu.

Yes! I forgot about Game because it's so unexpected, but their veggie burgers are more than worthy.

Mussel & Burger Bar has a house-made veggie burger that's based on beets, and it's pretty good, but I'm not a fan of its soft texture.
no avatar
User

Ginger Harris

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ginger Harris » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks for the options. Morels would be good to try, but doesn't seem like a festive birthday option. I will ask the birthday girl about Game, but the restaurant may be too meat themed for her. Picky vegetarians can be hard to please. Any good vegetarian entrees elsewhere to entice her?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Ginger Harris wrote:Thanks for the options. Morels would be good to try, but doesn't seem like a festive birthday option. I will ask the birthday girl about Game, but the restaurant may be too meat themed for her. Picky vegetarians can be hard to please. Any good vegetarian entrees elsewhere to entice her?

Heart & Soy for all-vegetarian? The new Cuvee Wine Table has a good mix of meatless and meatful. So do Indian restaurants.
no avatar
User

Brian Krainer

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm

by Brian Krainer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Migos in Dundee Loop has a focus on vegetarian tacos. I like meat and almost exclusively order the vegetarian tacos (they're that good).
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Not a birthday worthy type place but I think the best veggie burger in town is at Soupy's. They're super delicious and priced right at $3.99.

I was a vegetarian for close to 20 years and have had a LOT of veggie burgers. I'd say the second best is at the Cheesecake Factory. It's really good and prepared well; not mushy or wierd at all. I know this thread is wary of chains but, honestly, I've never had a bad meal there. (Bonus-half price cheesecake the 30th & 31st.)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:I know this thread is wary of chains but, honestly, I've never had a bad meal there. (Bonus-half price cheesecake the 30th & 31st.)

It's totally legit to speak from personal experience. Adding a disclaimer is also wise. ;)
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 am

In that chain vein, my coworker is a big fan of Gordon Biersch's veggie burger. Says it's one of the best he's had.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:00 am

Descending further down the chainish wormhole, White Castle's veggie sliders are surprisingly worthy. They're Dr. Praeger's brand, and if you skip the suggested sauce packets and go with onions and pickles (and Dusseldorf mustard) just like a regular slider, you really can't tell them from the real thing, except that they are arguably healthier.

I don't think WC is what Jessica had in mind, though. :lol:
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:25 am

Has the birthday girl specifically requested a veggie burger or are you just looking for a nice, celebration worthy restaurant with vegetarian friendly options?
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Rachel Goldenberg

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by Rachel Goldenberg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 am

Four Pegs in Germantown makes a great veggie burger - crispy on the outside and packed with veggies inside.
no avatar
User

Ginger Harris

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ginger Harris » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, which I will keep for reference. We ended up at mellow mushroom, mostly because they have a variety of veggie sandwiches to choose from. So many places seem to have one vegetarian choice, and if you don't like that, you get to piece a meal together from sides. On that note, one vegetarian enjoyed the Portobello sandwich, the other had the teriyaki tofu sandwich.