Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Taco Luchador St Matthews..tacky!

by Bill Veneman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Rick has lost his sign on, hence my relaying.

That being said, he has asked me to share this:

The two trees that were cut down provided several problems. The main concern was the damage that they were starting to cause to the foundation of the building, this could cause a severe issue with safety and the integrity of the building. Also one tree (which we had someone look at was already dead, nothing growing.) This caused a threat of falling on the utility pole. Which not only could potential effect our one business but several others in the area. We also cleared the trees and larger bushes because we saw many near wrecks that could of been devastating. They hindered the views coming around the corners.
We will be redoing the landscaping and replanting trees on the property in safe areas for everyone. I personally grew up in this area and attended high school across the street and love seeing St. Matthews progress and improve. Hopefully everyone can bare with us while we are cleaning up the property and getting things rolling. Our family owned and operated business has received great support from the community and can not wait to grow with St. Matthews.

Rick Moir
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks for sharing, Bill. Rick is a great guy, and we'd love to have him hang around here. If you talk to him, please remind him that he can always log in using Facebook - just click "Social Login" at the upper-right corner of the forum. Or he can inbox me on FB if he'd like me to reset a password for him the old-fashioned way.
no avatar
User

RickMoir

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:09 pm

by RickMoir » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:58 pm

First let me Thank Mr. Bill for relaying my messages today while I wasn't being tech smart. Bill has always been a supporter of Louisville restaurants (all of them, and their operators.) Robin awesome I can login through Facebook.
Hello all I got on this post to clear a little air for everyone. Linda's post today was not blocked because we weren't listening or caring what she had to say or because she asked a simple question, it was blocked because "You Suck" isn't something we'd like posted on our page. There are many younger adults and smaller fans of the restaurant that have easy access to Facebook these days and we did not want them seeing that on the Visitor Post, just trying to keep it classy.
As Bill had relayed earlier I grew up in the St. Matthews area and love where the city is headed. The people I work with had their first restaurant in St. Matthews. The Meridian Cafe needed a lot of love. The trees needed to go, yes I will say that. There was potential for root damage to a structure that already had to have many improvements and the potential for the other tree (the dead one) to fall on the utility pole was great. This of course would not only effect us but many other small local places in the area. A huge concern was visibility. Everyone getting ready to attack the key board calm down, not for the restaurant. Anyone that drove by might of seen myself or any others that are involved standing outside looking at traffic. There were countless times that we heard screeching tires and saw near wrecks, MANY. The trees and the tall bushes prevented driving views from coming traffic from Breckenridge.
We will be redoing landscaping!!! Some smaller trees will be planted on the property, bushes placed, fresh green grass will be planted. A nice patio with flowers and hopefully a little shade will be put up, this week.
The building has been brought up to code YES. This in itself was a huge task considering how long it has been standing. Most larger chain places would of tore it down and started from scratch. Our team did the best to keep the building standing as it was and make improvements to preserve this part of St. Matthews. A fresh coat of white paint and some fun Luchador masks were just painted by a Local artist, trying to support the Louisville art scene. We thought it would look great with some of the other buildings on the block with murals. I'd have no problem discussing any concerns with anyone and my information is posted in the thread. Everyday I am making multiple stops at the restaurant so feel free to stop and ask for me. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 pm

RickMoir wrote:First let me Thank Mr. Bill for relaying my messages today while I wasn't being tech smart. Bill has always been a supporter of Louisville restaurants (all of them, and their operators.) Robin awesome I can login through Facebook. ...

Rick, thanks so much for checking in. I appreciate it, and I'm glad to see you here. Thanks, too, for your detailed response and effort to clear the air. I know that the gang appreciates it.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:50 am

(Shrugging)
I think Mr. Moir's response was more than reasonable. I can attest to the lack of visibility in that one corner and have had several near misses there when I still owned a low profile car.
It's hard to see those big "almost like family" trees go, it's feels like a real death sometimes. But, it sounds as if the restaurant is doing some replanting and we will be able to grow up with the next generation of trees in the area.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:03 am

FWIW again, I drove by the shop last night and the new paint job looks great. Far from "tacky."
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:26 am

I saw the building yesterday and it was a big whoa! with the white and reds (I didn't find it tacky but it definitely makes a statement) but I will have to agree about the trees. That corner had beautiful ones shading that area.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm

You could have contacted me instead of immediately blocking me. When I stood there taking pictures, there were many, many people coming up saying how ugly they found the building, and how that small area had been defiled. Btw, you need spell check for your responses. I admit, your building matches the Jimmy John's in front of you. I am pretty shocked that instead of responding to me, you blocked me. I posted to our neighborhood group in St Matthews. Maybe you should check it out. Many others were upset about the look. Here's what I ask of you, please make a donation of trees to our dwindling Louisville canopy to replace the trees you destroyed. That would tell the community that you care.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:57 am

My FWIW-
I worked many years ago in a restaurant across from that intersection. I was only there three months and I saw 4 wrecks in that time- one quite bad.
I love our canopy city and all the beautiful vegetation. indeed, I brag about them to my out of town friends, but I think safety is more important.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 am

Linda,

You did not refute Rick's claim that you posted "you suck" on their facebook page...so we are left to assume that was a correct statement?

You offer no apology for that? Just fire "straight from the hip" and then wonder why they blocked you? Maybe if you would have asked your questions in a nicer way you could have had a dialogue with Rick, and then would have learned what we all now know.

It's okay to be passionate about the trees, just do it in a civilized manner.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am

I stated that the look of the whole area was stark and that taking out the trees sucked. Too bad they can't handle criticism and respond by blocking. Bevin did that as well. I have also been communicating with them for months talking about their business and looking forward to having them in the neighborhood. He didn't mention that, did he? The White Castle is tacky. That's my opinion. Some may like it, I do not. As far as visibility, etc, there are problems everywhere because idiots speed and talk on their phones. I've lived in St M since 1986.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am

If you find yourself being blocked by multiple people on Facebook, the problem may not be with the blockers.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:St Matthews has Mellow Mushroom with a giant donut billboard, a liquor store shaped like a giant neon-lit top hat, and a pagoda-shaped Chinese restaurant. And the BBC building that was blindingly yellow and green until recently. Calling a Mexican-themed paint job "tacky" in this context is not a good look.

IMHO yes, Jeff!!!!! Keep Louisville Weird or do we need to conform to some unwritten standard? After all, this is 'Merica! ((I have an 18-year-old Marine recruit in training at this very moment))...
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh, I resent your snarky remark. I have not been blocked by multiple people, just them and Matt Bevin. I objected to the bill that now has made our city vulnerable to boycotts by convention groups. Bevin blocks people who call him out. I wonder if our tax money goes to hiring aides who regularly block negative FB posts?
Joni, are you a home owner? It does affect your property value when people build/paint something which is incongruous to your neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi Linda - Yep I'm a homeowner. Relax, life is so much more than Facebook! Eat good food and love those you love and who love you.
PreviousNext