Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

heather.yaron

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: Taco Luchador St Matthews..tacky!

by heather.yaron » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 pm

HI folks long time no post.
I get on once and a very blue moon to see what is happening in our restaurant scene.

Mark R. I need to your respond to your comment about Meridian cafe, and their neglect to construct a handicapped access to the restaurant.

First of all let me congratulate the OLE group for the
HUGE transformation of the former Meridian cafe.

That being said, I emphasized the word HUGE because that is what it is. A very big and expensive undertaking to not only transform the building to a REAL restaurant, with gas stoves, fryers, dishwasher, grease trap, but they by law HAD to create HANDICAP ACCESSIBILTY to their construction costs.

My former partner Mike Ross and I and our spouses were not making EXCUSES we simply were not doing a renovation to the property so we were "GRANDFATHERED" into the access that we had.
Our average ticket per head was ten dollars, and we were not all financially able to sink additional expense into a place that would NEVER cover the additional cost of a reno by selling a sandwich and chips.

All the best to the OLE group, I hope they sell the snot out of their tacos in order to recoup their construction costs.
Also Mark, I would like to meet you there and buy your first taco.!!!
Xo
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Joni, I hate people who tell me to relax. Insulting.we never eat at chain restaurants,
. My husband takes clients to local places several times per week. Where do you live and what buildings surround you? That was a lovely spot, quiet, shaded and lovely. I am personally upset about what they have built. In no way do I criticize their food or anything else.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:02 pm

Now I can't wait to see this place. FYI, the storefront of the original TL is painted lime green and purple -- I wonder if it is similar.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:40 am

SilvioM wrote:Now I can't wait to see this place. FYI, the storefront of the original TL is painted lime green and purple -- I wonder if it is similar.

I think we're seeing the increasing partification of St. Matthews here. As it evolves toward being an alternative to Baxter, it fades as a center for Ladies Who Lunch. That's what happened with Meridian Cafe to Taco Luchador, it seems to me, and both the bright color and the removal of the trees - however well justified - tie it more closely to the party corridor.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:07 am

GaryF wrote:My FWIW-
I worked many years ago in a restaurant across from that intersection. I was only there three months and I saw 4 wrecks in that time- one quite bad.
I love our canopy city and all the beautiful vegetation. indeed, I brag about them to my out of town friends, but I think safety is more important.

This is whats wrong with Louisville. The outlook and attitude above. You are putting the auto before the human. Louisville has a dwindling and very weak tree canopy so I'm not sure what city you are referring to. Maybe you've heard of our extreme heat island. The amount of trees that we take down, disease, storms, etc. is alarming and we are too far behind in replanting trees to offset the loss. Just look what they did to the neighborhoods surrounding Bowman Field, the MSD underground sewage tanks project, east end sprawl, etc. You cannot blame a freaking tree on a few wrecks. That is incredibly short sighted and ignorant. One tree may not sound like a big deal but it's a growing epidemic in Louisville that will effect generations to come. I drove by TL this weekend and will say the missing tree is a blight to that area and they will have to pay extra $$$ to cool the building due to the loss of shade. The afternoon soon was blasting the building and I feel sorry for the patrons eating on the patio they are building. But all in the name of meat and CO2, right??
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:10 am

SilvioM wrote:Now I can't wait to see this place. FYI, the storefront of the original TL is painted lime green and purple -- I wonder if it is similar.

It wont' be hard to miss the 30 foot red luchador mask painted on the side of the building. Oy vey.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:37 pm

neal.johnson wrote: You are putting the auto before the human.

I think they are considering the HUMAN lives that are in danger as a result of an automobile accident, not the damage to the vehicle.

Maybe they are going to plant a bunch of trees in the lot where they just took down the old St. Matt hardware and that eyesore diamond store. You could really make a difference in that spot.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:53 pm

RonnieD wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:Maybe they are going to plant a bunch of trees in the lot where they just took down the old St. Matt hardware and that eyesore diamond store. You could really make a difference in that spot.

Actually, they're going to put a big bank building in that spot, I'm sure trees are not part of the consideration. It took down to viable businesses to put in another bank! Now that's progress x-rays point!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 am

Mark R. wrote:
RonnieD wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:Maybe they are going to plant a bunch of trees in the lot where they just took down the old St. Matt hardware and that eyesore diamond store. You could really make a difference in that spot.

Actually, they're going to put a big bank building in that spot, I'm sure trees are not part of the consideration. It took down to viable businesses to put in another bank! Now that's progress x-rays point!

Actually, the community is in an uproar because they took out a century-old oak tree to make room for that bank. :cry:
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 am

RonnieD wrote:

I think they are considering the HUMAN lives that are in danger as a result of an automobile accident, not the damage to the vehicle.

Maybe they are going to plant a bunch of trees in the lot where they just took down the old St. Matt hardware and that eyesore diamond store. You could really make a difference in that spot.

Dude. You work a block down the street where they just ripped out a huge oak tree to make space for your precious automobile. Out of touch much?
no avatar
User

russ.hockenbury

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:53 pm

by russ.hockenbury » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:51 am

As a St. Matthews resident, I will say that I cannot wait for Taco Luchador to open! Highlands location is great and mole is the best thing to happen to fries since poutine.

I think Robin's description of the shift in St. Matthews is very apt.

I love this forum by the way and have been a lurker for many years!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:27 am

russ.hockenbury wrote:I love this forum by the way and have been a lurker for many years!

Thanks for stepping into the light, Russ! Glad to have you in the conversation, and I hope you'll continue taking active part.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Man, TL has been opening in "about 3 weeks" for 4 months now! I'm not really complaining as I understand they have run into many setbacks. I'm just ready for tacos.

For the record, I own a home in St. Matthews, complete with big-ass old trees, and I feel that this protects me from any internet forum guilt trips regarding my taco lust.

Of course, part of me still has trouble reconciling the conflicting emotions.

Here's a haiku I wrote just now about it:

Trees adorn my home,
yet cognitive dissonance,
Tacos own my heart
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:22 pm

St Matthews abides
beige and gray comfort repose
vivid immigrants
Last edited by Steve H on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:09 pm

neal.johnson wrote:
RonnieD wrote:

Dude. You work a block down the street where they just ripped out a huge oak tree to make space for your precious automobile. Out of touch much?

I park my automobile behind the building where there hasn't been a tree since the advent of the railroad. And I'm having trouble placing a huge oak on the Gerstle's property before or after being ripped out, so yeah, I guess I am pretty out of touch, but considering that we don't own the property, it wouldn't have been our call anyway. So I'm not sure where the beef is, but I am getting the sense you have a lot of anger toward cars.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
PreviousNext