Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Boombozz Highlands toilet-kitchen?

by Ron H » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:58 pm

I don't know if there's a lot of cross-over between this forum and Reddit, but someone on r/louisville posted some very damning photographs of the sewage-flooded kitchen of Boombozz Highlands (which recently got a C from the health department). Apparently, the kitchen was flooded with backed-up sewage, and rather than close, they shop-vacced the potty water up and continued on about their day.

Here's the link, decide for yourselves. Folks claiming to be former employees have verified it as the Boombozz Highlands kitchen. It looks roughly like what I've seen of their kitchen, but I can't verify.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Louisville/comments/6mo3zl/boombozz_highlands_sewer_backed_up_into_kitchen/

EDIT: None of this is verified, I'm not a detective, and I don't make any accusations about anything.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Boombozz Highlands toilet-kitchen?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:15 am

Boombozz management has posted an extensive reply. It seems fair to post it here in full:

Joshua Torpey wrote:When it comes to health and safety-related issues in the restaurant industry, there is no gray area. You are either a safe place to serve your guests, or you are not. Unfortunately, information has been shared that shows us to be in violation of the health and safety that you, as our guest, expect from us on every occasion. At times, employees feel that their termination from their workplace is unwarranted, and that may turn into a situation where false information is provided as a retaliation. Disturbingly, this is the case with today’s events. It is our responsibility that we share the full scope of information in hopes that we help our guests understand that Boombozz in the Highlands is, and always has been, a completely safe and clean environment to dine in.
On June 30th, our restaurant was under a routine health inspection. During that time, we had a floor drain become clogged. We immediately contacted our plumber to come out and rectify the issue. The health inspector was on site, and no stoppage of service was necessary, as the water only amounted to less than 24 inches around the drain, and was fixed immediately. This, however, did cause us to receive a “C” on our health inspection report, as any drain blockage is an immediate critical violation. To prevent any further issues, we had the same plumbers come out two days later, on July 2nd, at 8am, to “jet wash” all the floor drains in the building. This consists of pressure-washing the inside of the drains, from the floor opening, out to the end of the lines outside of the building, removing any clogging elements from inside of the pipes. During this process, all the excess water pushes out through the other drains, and covers most of the floor. At no point during this process was there any exposed food, nor were we open for business. It has also been shared by the former employee that the water was “sewage” water. This was not the case either. Floor drains from the kitchen are not run to the same lines as the sewage lines from the restroom, for this very purpose. At no point was there anything but floor drain runoff in our kitchen.
On Thursday, July 6th, we were re-inspected by the same health inspector. He reviewed all elements of the work performed, and restored our “A” status on our health inspection with a score of 99. The following day, we were having HVAC work done on one of our refrigeration units. The coils had frozen over, and required the technician to spray down the lines until they were no longer frozen. It was at this time that the water used underneath the refrigeration unit pooled over the floor drain under that unit. This was water that was from the hose that the technician was using. The water was directly cleaned up and disposed of. We immediately spoke with the plumber, who stated that they were not aware of that drain, and immediately came out to jet wash that drain. There have been no issues since. The health inspector was notified, and again, came out to inspect that the work on that drain was properly handled.
We sincerely apologize to all of our guests who have been falsely informed about this situation. We would like to reiterate that at no time was there ever any sewage in our kitchen, and at no time were we open for business while this work was being performed. It is easy to write this off as an excuse from a business with their own interests at heart, but we assure you that is not the case. Daniel Meyer, with the Louisville Metro Public Health Department, and Dauenhauer Plumbing, were the ones involved with all the work and subsequent inspections performed at our location. We are providing this information in case anybody may feel the need to validate our comments, and please feel free to do so. We will never take the health and safety of our guests for granted, and again, we apologize that you were subjected to this situation. We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to show you we are the type of restaurant that you will always be able to trust with your safety.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:12 am

On June 30th, our restaurant was under a routine health inspection. During that time, we had a floor drain become clogged.

I don't buy this. The floor drain was no doubt clogged/slow long before the health inspection, and they let it sit until the health inspector came by (which is totally fine if it's not against code).

Good to know that the situation is corrected, and I certainly hope that they scrubbed the equipment down afterwards. There are an awful lot of pizza warmer bags/plates within splash distance of the ponding water, not to mention what looks like unboxed plastic wrap on the bottom shelf by the drain.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:23 pm

I have no strong opinions about Boombozz except that I really like that ice strip they have at the bar. I don't even know if it actually has much effect keeping my beer cold, but it feels like the future.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:47 am

Blaze pizza. You can eat like a king for under $9. ALL THE TOPPINGS. It's a chain but so is Boombozz and the place is clean and doesn't smell like an MSD treatment center.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Unrelated but I can't believe that I have never heard/seen anything posted anywhere about the frequent sewage stench at the Troll Pub. I can only assume it must be related to their basement location but it's AWFUL. I don't know if it something that happens frequently or just randomly but it has caused us to leave after being seated - I don't know how the other people around us were eating. I picked up carry out once and smelled it as well and it made me not want to eat my food. I just looked at their google reviews and found 3 mentions of the smell - 2 people said it smelled like a musty basement and 1 agreed with me that it smells like sewage. I just don't understand because it didn't used to be like that and we used to take people from work quite a bit. But not now!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:16 pm

We quit dining at Troll Pub for a year or so. It was bad. Actually, stop in before a game for a token something - not a meal.
The 'old' Chi Chi's location was awful (Shelbyville Road) and the chicken place there - went there once - same problem.
BBC St. Matthews had bathroom problems.

I don't know if any of these places own/owned their sites. Landlord issue? MSD?

Ellen