Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Noise warning

User avatar
User

Ward Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

101

Joined

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Location

Beargrass Creek watershed

Noise warning

by Ward Wilson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm

It's not just us aging diners that are affected by loud restaurants. My favorites for avoiding hearing loss are Bucks, 211 Clover, and Science Hill Inn.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 5a963e8baf
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

20187

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Noise warning

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks, Ward. I meant to post that, then got distracted.

I have a dB-meter app on my iPhone ... I'm sure it's not a scientific quality instrument, but it gives readings that seem to make sense. I've hit reading in the 80s frequently with an occasional peak to 90 a quite a few restaurants around town. Silver Dollar is another CAAAN'T HEEAAAARRR YOU place, although with their schtick of Bakersfield Sound, I guess it's reasonable to expect that. I can't think of many hip NuLu spots that aren't very loud, though, and not many on Bardstown or Frankfort.
User avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1289

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Noise warning

by Steve Shade » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks, Ward. I meant to post that, then got distracted.

I have a dB-meter app on my iPhone ... I'm sure it's not a scientific quality instrument, but it gives readings that seem to make sense. I've hit reading in the 80s frequently with an occasional peak to 90 a quite a few restaurants around town. Silver Dollar is another CAAAN'T HEEAAAARRR YOU place, although with their schtick of Bakersfield Sound, I guess it's reasonable to expect that. I can't think of many hip NuLu spots that aren't very loud, though, and not many on Bardstown or Frankfort.


One Nulu reasonably quiet .. Mayan Cafe
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1944

Joined

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Noise warning

by GaryF » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:35 am

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks, Ward. I meant to post that, then got distracted.

I have a dB-meter app on my iPhone ... I'm sure it's not a scientific quality instrument, but it gives readings that seem to make sense. I've hit reading in the 80s frequently with an occasional peak to 90 a quite a few restaurants around town. Silver Dollar is another CAAAN'T HEEAAAARRR YOU place, although with their schtick of Bakersfield Sound, I guess it's reasonable to expect that. I can't think of many hip NuLu spots that aren't very loud, though, and not many on Bardstown or Frankfort.


I ate with a friend tonight at Silver Dollar and they responded to our request to turn down the music swiftly and with a charming smile.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

20187

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Noise warning

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:08 am

Steve Shade wrote:One Nulu reasonably quiet .. Mayan Cafe

Mmm, maybe comparatively so, but they've still got a hoppin' scene, a small room packed with people and not much in the way of soft surfaces to soak up the noise. I love the place, but I wouldn't recommend it as a venue for quiet conversation.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

20187

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Noise warning

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:08 am

GaryF wrote:I ate with a friend tonight at Silver Dollar and they responded to our request to turn down the music swiftly and with a charming smile.

:shock:
Good to know, Gary. Thanks. Was it crowded?
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1944

Joined

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Noise warning

by GaryF » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:
GaryF wrote:I ate with a friend tonight at Silver Dollar and they responded to our request to turn down the music swiftly and with a charming smile.

:shock:
Good to know, Gary. Thanks. Was it crowded?

Not very- 10PM on a Sunday night
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

20187

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Noise warning

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:51 am

That's what I wondered. It was gracious of them to respond, but I wonder if they'd be as willing on a busy night when the place was hopping.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 12 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign
cron