Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hand Pulled Noodles

no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Hand Pulled Noodles

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:37 am

(Not Ramen)

Do any of the places that offer the 'authentic' Chinese menu on the side do these? If not, why?

Just returned from NYC -- we get up there 2-3x per year, mainly for food, and never leave without some hand pulled/ripped noodles -- usually just drop in a random place in Chinatown, but had the Spicy Oil & lamb/cumin versions at Xi'an Famous Foods on this latest trip. A+

I realize Louisville is not New York, but it's such a standard item there all over the city...it's obviously a bit of an art, but still seems like someone in a food city as good as ours would offer this by now -- they're so damn good. I need them on a somewhat regular basis.

Griffin? :P
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Hand Pulled Noodles

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:59 pm

It's tugging at my memory that the late, lamented Red Pepper did that, maybe as an occasional special. I'm not sure about other options. I like Oriental House's Hong Kong dishes, but hand-pulled noodles doesn't seem their style. I could be wrong. Jasmine, maybe? They've got a chef with an Old Country reputation. I would have said Peking City for similar reasons, but I've been hearing that it has slipped back from the seriously "authentic." Isn't that about it for serious Chinese around town these days? I'd love to be reminded of something I've missed.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Empress of China used to.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi Adrian.

We have done pulled noodle specials in the past, unfortunately, they didn't sell very well. I think many people don't understand it, perhaps we didn't push it hard enough, or maybe we just flat out didn't do it right.

I know Ramen and Udon. Those two things are firmly in my wheelhouse. You'll see some Udon gracing our menu around November, and maybe in the mean time I'll study up on Pull Noodles. Check in on the Mirin Facebook/Instagram for updates on specials, etc., and don't be afraid to send a message if you see something you like- we've been known to be pressured into repeat specs!

Let me know if you find any good places who do this, as I had the best pull noodle dish of my life at a food truck in Chicago and have been craving it since.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for the response, and will do!