Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Porcini

no avatar
User

scott.wade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Porcini

by scott.wade » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:29 am

I had another outstanding meal at Porcini last night. This place has become my favorite restuarant in town. From pasta to seafood to steak to pizza, everything I have tried is excellent. The prices are reasonable to me as well.

This place never seems to get a mention on here.

Any reason why?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Porcini

by Mark R. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:04 pm

I think it's because it's an accepted fact that it's a good restaurant. Many of the old favorites such as Jack Fry's, Café Lulu, Le Relais, etc. are seldom mentioned. People just don't make comments about them because little more can be said. Actually, the only time you see them mentioned is if somebody has a bad experience at 1 of them.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:47 pm

I think Mark hit the nail on the head. The old standards are generally loved, but don't get much conversation because they're well-known. Kind of a shame. Maybe we ought to make a point to talk about them more. I know I'm overdue for a dinner at Porcini myself!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:35 am

Porcini doesn't get the accolades of places like Jack Fry's, but it is every bit as good, if not better. Every single meal I've had there has been excellent. Service ranges from very good to excellent. I've just never had a "bad night" there despite dozens of visits. I do think it gets overlooked by some because it is not the shiny new thing any longer, but if you check out the crowds on weekends you will see that Tim still packs them in. Heck, they even have decent numbers on Monday nights.

also, best lamb chops in town . . .
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Porcini doesn't get the accolades of places like Jack Fry's, but it is every bit as good, if not better. Every single meal I've had there has been excellent. Service ranges from very good to excellent. I've just never had a "bad night" t
also, best lamb chops in town . . .

BETTER
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

JeffD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Louisville

by JeffD » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 am

Just adding to the Porcini accolades. Wife and I couldn't decide where to go for supper Saturday evening. Upon seeing a 7:30 reservation slot available at Porcini's we went for it. Its probably been 6-8 months since we were there and we always enjoy it. Saturday night was no exception other than it may have even been better than usual. We had a great server is Liz who was just the right amount of amiable with the right amount of efficient with multiple tables to serve. Wife got the gnocchi with marinara and just the spicy sausage. I had the shrimp fettuccine with capers, olives and other deliciousness. We shared their fantastic artichoke appetizer to start. Seriously, this app is one of the most unique and delicious in Louisville especially in the hot summer time. A reasonably priced bottle of Pinot Noir accompanied our meal. We also shared the tiramisu and thought if any thing could have been improved it would be the desert. They used to serve a great tiramisu but this version doesn't quite hold up. We had a great meal though and a nice evening at a Louisville stalwart and won't wait 6 months to go back again.
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. ..... Butch Cassidy