Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Foodies may happily graze at hiko-A-mon

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:37 am

Foodies may happily graze at hiko-A-mon

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Hiko-A-Mon’s grilled sanma, mackerel pike.

When I go to a Japanese restaurant, I generally love to pull right up to the sushi bar. I can hardly imagine a more immersive entry into the world of Japanese cuisine than sitting right across the tale from the sushi chefs, with the striking colors of beautiful fresh fish and other edible delights lined up in perfect rows between you.

You can ponder the options and point to your favorites, or invite the chef to offer a suggestion or clue you in to whatever is freshest and best on this day. Or, if you’re bold, utter the magic word “omekase” (which is pronounced “Oh-meh-kah-say” and means, basically, “feed me, chef”), and sit back and wait for the surprises to emerge. This does require a touch of bravery, though, because if you didn’t disclose preferences or even food taboos, you may wish you hadn’t said that word as you gaze down on a jiggly wad of monkfish liver or whatnot.

Anyway, that’s what I usually do. But when we found our way to hiko-A-mon in Westport Village the other night, I embarked on a different journey. Sure, hiko-A-mon has splendid sushi, featuring a couple of dozen bite-size nigiri sushi on rice balls, and maybe four dozen fancy maki rolls. Named after its Kyoto-born Chef Hiko, it’s widely regarded as one of the city’s finest sushi joints, perhaps No. 1 on any given day.

But I’ve been there and done that. So this time, we elected a different approach. Just as we had often done on a memorable visit to Japan some years back, we would graze through the menu, enjoying an array of apps, small plates and noodle dishes, enjoying all the diversity of a sushi dinner while venturing into a different culinary range.

We took our seats at one of the black-topped tables in the attractive, dimly lighted room with a slightly unnerving display of live fish - not, I hope, sushi-to-be - undulating gently in a large tank off to one side. Walls are painted bold solid colors, vermilion behind the sushi bar, gray-green along the side of the room, with odd but attractive decor that surprisingly resembled metal bundt pans and muffin tins.

Beyond the extensive sushi lists, the dinner menu takes some time to peruse with its five pages of tightly packed small print in English and Japanese. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/foodi ... e-hiko-mon

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

hiko-A-mon
Westport Village
1115 Herr Lane
365-1651
Open Table: http://bit.ly/HikoAMonOT
Robin Garr’s rating: 88 points

hiko-A-mon has another location downtown at 416 W. Muhammad Ali Blvd., 625-3090.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Foodies may happily graze at hiko-A-mon

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:11 am

Our favorite appetizer by far there is the calamari . . . a medium size, perfectly grilled squid, melt-in-your-mouth tender, with a spicy Japanese mayo sauce on the side.

We also love their dinner soups (the specialties seem to be the seafood with soba or udon noodles, but they have a beef curry soup that's a wonderful and very filling $11 dinner!). Their seafood entrees also are exceptional - impeccably fresh fish perfectly cooked with or without Japanese sauces in a plate of various domestic and Japanese tempura and grilled vegetables.

Just for info, if you can't get into the Westport Village location (it tends to fill up most days), it seems that few have discovered the downtown location (a couple of steps west of the Seelbach down Muhammad Ali).
Andrew Mellman