Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Interview with Michael Pollan

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Interview with Michael Pollan

by Deb Hall » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Interesting interview with Michael Pollan on the new gourmet.com site.

http://www.gourmet.com/foodpolitics/2008/01/michael_pollan_QA
(I'm also thrilled to be able to watch "Diary of a Foodie" on the site now- KET doesn't run it, and I've really been wanting to see it....)

Deb
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:37 pm

That was an interesting interview, Deb. Thanks for posting it! I am nearly done reading In Defense of Food and I think everyone should read it!
no avatar
User

Hank Sutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Downtown Louisville

by Hank Sutton » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:04 pm

University of Louisville Kentucky Author Forum.
Audio interview on January 11, 2008 with Michael Pollan is available now
http://wfpl.org/ky_author_forum.htm
no avatar
User

Steve Coomes

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Goshen, KY

in Defense of Food is brilliant

by Steve Coomes » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:09 am

Just started reading In Defense of Food and I highly recommend it. Easy read, though well researched and hinged smartly on science.

Saw Pollan speak on C-span recently and he's brilliant: not a strict granola cruncher who wants to change the world one cage-free egg at at time, just a huge proponent of whole foods.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Interesting article. This movement has become very popular. But, back in the day before it was en vogue, our very own Wendell Berry was carrying this torch in a lonely crusade for sustainable agriculture, small farms, and buying local.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:09 pm

But, back in the day before it was en vogue, our very own Wendell Berry was carrying this torch in a lonely crusade for sustainable agriculture, small farms, and buying local.

There was a very nice article on Wendell in this a month's Gourmet saying exactly that. (See, Ron is right again!) :) . Unfortunately I think it's only available in print: they have different content on the http://www.gourmet.com website.

Deb
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:17 pm

I don't read Gourmet much, but I will pick one up for that article alone. Wendell Berry is an amazing guy. It's unfortunate that he is not better recognized for his contributions to literature, philosophy, and agriculture in his own state.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:23 am

I purchased Mr. Pollan's book over the weekend. I am just into the first few chapters, but I see a lot of common sense in it. There really wasn't a lot of money to be made by selling folks raw ingredients and letting them make their own food, so the food corporations figured how to make food-like substances that they could sell to the public. The consumption of these man-made food substitutes over the past 50 years has coincided with sky-rocketing rates of cancer, obesity, diabetes, hypertensions, food allergies, and gastrointestinal disorders.