Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Street food in the South End: Á-Châu

by Robin Garr » Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 am

Street food in the South End: Á-Châu

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Càri Xanh, spicy green curry at Á-Châu.

Who doesn’t love street food? I sure do! Give me a corn dog, or maybe a big slice of New York City pizza that I can fold over and carry down the street, and I’m a happy boy.

So naturally I was delighted to discover a recent South End arrival, Á-Châu, which bears the magical words “Vietnamese Street Food” in big letters over the front door.

If you’re visualizing portable Vietnamese food on sticks, though, you may be surprised to learn that big bowls of Asian noodles and even soup qualify as street food, too, even though you can’t easily carry them around. In Vietnam, as in most of Asia, you buy street food from a booth or cart, pull up a table, sit down and enjoy.

Á-Châu, whose name is Vietnamese for “Asia” and pronounced “Ah Chow,” opened last month in the former home of longtime Iroquois landmark Thornberry’s Deli. It’s a bright, simple remake of the beloved deli that used to be famous for its pies. Indeed, this line of succession may stand as metaphor from the South End’s gradual evolution from blue-collar Anglo to one of the city’s most diverse international communities.

The large, square room appears spacious with its bright-yellow walls, white floors and ceilings, with plenty of room for well separated wood-look tables and black dinette chairs, and a serving counter at the rear of the room. The only decor element is one big-screen TV tuned to a Vietnamese satellite channel. The language was a challenge, but the MTV-style music was international and appealing.

The menu features mostly Vietnamese dishes plus a taste of Thai, and it’s easy accessible in both Vietnamese and English. ...

Á-Châu Restaurant
5103 S. Third Street
364-4262
Robin Garr’s rating: 87 points

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/stree ... h-end-chau

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Street food in the South End: Á-Châu

by Iggy C » Wed May 31, 2017 10:26 am

I can vouch for the banh xeo, too. Haven't tried anything else but it all looked good, and the owners were quite friendly.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:08 am

I had lunch at A-Chau this week and really enjoyed it. I had the lemongrass vermicelli bowl with chicken, and there are several other things on the menu I'd like to go back and try. I also liked the "winter melon drink" (nuoc bi dao), which I'd never had before. It's a nice alternative to iced tea.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:10 am

Glad you enjoyed it, Rich!