Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Big R's and Shannon's BBQ

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Big R's and Shannon's BBQ

by Carla G » Tue May 23, 2017 7:18 pm

(Found on 1st. Street in La Grange.)
I was jonesin' for some of Texican's cherrywood smoked ribs but, alas, they are no more. Found this place by googling around on line AND they aren't too far from my home. Their website says they smoke with cherrywood and hickory, prices looked good. They have beer.
I had 1/2 rack of baby backs, mac/cheese and mixed greens. Total cost with a Mexican beer was $17.22. I thought pretty reasonable.
Mac and cheese was pretty pedestrian. What is it with mac and cheese? Is it such a sacred cow of comfort foods that restaurants feel obligated to make it boring? Oh well... Mixed greens were chopped so maybe from a can but the flavor was very good anyway. Mine had a big hunk of pulled pork in it. Polished those off in quick order.
The ribs themselves were fantastic! They seemed to have a pretty heavy, very flavorful, dry rub on them ( almost made them crispy in spots and boy those were good spots!) and maybe a quick mopping of sauce within their last hour in the oven. The 1/2 slab must have had 8 bones maybe? Seemed like a lot. They were really good and I could pinpoint their wonderfulness back to whatever was in that great rub. The young ladies that waited on me were very efficient and genuinely nice. All in all I was very pleased.

Business was good, they had a steady stream of diners coming in starting at 5:30 and on a Tuesday night too. I'll go back.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Big R's and Shannon's BBQ

by Ed Vermillion » Wed May 24, 2017 10:28 am

So glad you finally found them, Carla. I'm sure that I've eaten my weight in those ribs over the years! When Big R first opened it was on the corner of N Walnut & E Jefferson in what is now a coffee shop. His Mom baked all the pies and cakes and they were outrageously good. After a few years they moved down to Cedar Ave & E Main in what was once a hot dog place. They had a great run in that building. You could sign your name on the wall, which our son and his friends took full advantage of. Once Big R remembered that he started the restaurant as a side project after he retired he had the great sense to turn it over to his daughter, Shannon. The current location is doubly dangerous: It still has the same great food it always has (those ribs!) and it is right next door to the lovely and talented Andrea Mancini Essenpreis and her Q&A Sweet Treats Bakery. Eat ribs and then walk next door for a baked treat. Everyone goes home a winner!