Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sad news about Rick's

no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Sad news about Rick's

by Bill Veneman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:24 am

Went to dinner last night at Rick's, and my fav waitress shared the fact that Rick has been bought out, and the establishment will be shifting to Italian in a matter of weeks. VERY sad indeed, since Rick's is one of my family's favorite dining establishments (as a matter of fact, we took the 2 nephews there last night as kind of a fine dining experience to see how they would act----they did very well).
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Update on Rick's

by Bill Veneman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:52 am

I received this note this morning when I checked my mail and thought I'd share with the forum:

Bill, Rick’s is under contract but will pretty much remain the same only better, no change to an Italian concept. The buyers have many years in the industry and should take it to a new level

Houston D. Jones, Jr
http://www.TheHoustonGroup.net

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Update on Rick's

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 am

Bill Veneman wrote:I received this note this morning when I checked my mail and thought I'd share with the forum

Thanks for the follow-up, Bill! I was a little surprised that your original post didn't inspire much of a discussion. I like Rick's, but apparently it's out-of-sight, out-of-mind for a lot of people. Just as glad to know the concept won't change. I'm not sure another "Italian" restaurant is what we would have needed anyway. ;)

Hey, I'm going to edit your post ... even if Houston puts his phone numbers in Email, I'm not sure he'd want it out there exposed to Google.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Yikes

by Bill Veneman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks for the edit Robin.......guess that's what I get for trying to think pre coffee.

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:03 am

Pardon my ignorance, but this is Rick's Ferrari Grill you're talking about? Didn't know if there was another Rick's I'm not aware of. Thanks.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:36 am

Jeremy Markle wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but this is Rick's Ferrari Grill you're talking about?

Correctamundo!
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

just guessing

by amy lyons » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:16 pm

So could this be where Jarfi's is landing after their exit from the Kentucky Center, or is that still on now that the Avalon deal is defunct?
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: just guessing

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:38 pm

amy lyons wrote:So could this be where Jarfi's is landing after their exit from the Kentucky Center, or is that still on now that the Avalon deal is defunct?

Dunno ... anything is possible, Amy.

Specifically, though, here's why I'm guessing not ...

* Jeff Jarfi told me he's looking in the Highlands and on Hurstbourne. This space is neither.

* I think Jarfi's is absolutely out, both because he wants to be and, rumor has it, because the Center revisits that contract every five years anyway. The Clements deal falling through is irrespective of Jarfi leaving, as far as I know.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Sad news about Rick's

by Bill Veneman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:32 am

OK, finally got back to Rick's to try out the new owners.......And I'm not happy

Mom and my Aunt both ordered the Talipa sandwich which came out undercooked. The original piece of fish was huge......but up the return from being "finished" both orders shrunk considerably (not from reduction, but from removal)

My Mahi Mahi was good, but not up to the usual standards.

Service was spotty (had to hunt down our waitress, and the regular staff didn't seem happy at all)

I've been a fan of Rick's in it's various incarnations for many years, and as my posts on this very forum will atest, have sung it's praises since I've been back in Louisville. It's sad to see a Louisville Dining Instution go down hill. Change for the better is good. Change for changes sake, FORGET IT. Advice to new owners-----Get the act together or go ahead and close the doors. In my book, you have one more shot to get it right, and if it's not right, I'm not coming back.

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Lutes

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jeremy Lutes » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:29 pm

My wife and I ate at Rick's last night and didn't notice a huge difference. Our server was very pleasant, and explained that we might be waiting a little longer than usual because the new kitchen staff are still learning. My burger was delicious, and my wife enjoyed her crab cakes. My only real complaint was that there were only three draught beer options, and one of them was Miller Lite (so basically, two options).

We sat at the bar, where there was (as usual) a good, festive atmosphere. Maybe service and execution issues were more noticeable in the dining room, where there aren't as many TVs to distract.
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:02 pm

Was in Friday night also. Heard over half the kitchen staff had walked out a day or two before. That's probably a lot of the reason for kitchen problems. Once they get a staff I'm sure it will get better. Strange tho...if the kitchen was supposedly
having problems why was the chef sitting at the bar flirting with the staff? Oh well I hope everything works out ok. I go in
about once or twice a month and have always enjoyed it. Good Luck!!!
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Sad news about Rick's (Now Wiggington's)

by Bill Veneman » Tue May 20, 2008 3:54 pm

My Aunt and Uncle went recently and report that the new menu was so unimpressive, they had the cocktail they had ordered, and left.

Why must people mess with success......

Rick D., Hurry and open in Prospect......you're public is waiting!

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue May 20, 2008 7:31 pm

My understanding Rick will have Blackstone Grill open in Prospect about the third week of June.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.