Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Online Menu Prices & Dinner Prices

by RichardM » Sun May 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Our wedding anniversary is fast approaching and I have been looking over non-chain places for steak. The first thing I discovered was two restaurants that did NOT have their prices on the online menu. What are they afraid of, that they won't put that out. It's like a business card sans a telephone number - it's worthless.

I have looked at several others and think that the best bet for this special occasion is Corbett's an American place. Although it could be Jack's Equus.

The other places I looked at were just too expensive. It's not that we can't afford a few special meals a year, but how can you justify $29.50 for chicken livers, 2 veggies, rolls and a salad? What is so special about mashed potatoes that makes them a side for $10.00? Or a ground sirloin steak w/gravy, 2 veggies, rolls and a salad for $28.00? I am not sure any burger is worth $18-20 even with fries.

Looking for other suggestions. Oh, it's the wrong anniversary for Rivue. That is where we had our wedding supper (actually desert) so we only go there about every 5 years and 37 years is not there yet. Steak is not an absolute, but a nice quiet place to enjoy a well prepared meal is what we like.

Thanks for help and comments.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Online Menu Prices & Dinner Prices

by Robin Garr » Sun May 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Happy almost-anniversary to you guys! :) I think Corbett's and/or Equus/Jack's would be good picks, particularly since Corbett's has had a personality transplant and (at least in part) isn't high-end, high-price any more. Caveat, though, I haven't been there since the change, so can't give detailed testimony.

One other thought, given that you want a nice place but not a round-number blowout: Blackstone Grille in Prospect, where Rick Dissell has been at the helm for 10 years or so, has some steak options that aren't cheap but come in below fancy steakhouse prices.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Richard, I would think twice before considering Jack's/Equus for a special occasion after the changes that have taken place there. Equus certainly is like it used to be. The entire place has turned into something more resembling a sports bar than a nice restaurant. There are televisions all over the place and the crowd has certainly gotten louder and more boisterous. The menu also had fewer fine dining choices.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 am

Mark R. wrote:Richard, I would think twice before considering Jack's/Equus for a special occasion after the changes that have taken place there. Equus certainly is like it used to be. The entire place has turned into something more resembling a sports bar than a nice restaurant. There are televisions all over the place and the crowd has certainly gotten louder and more boisterous. The menu also had fewer fine dining choices.

FWIW, the TV's are almost never turned on- only for special events that most people want to watch, such as basketball games in March and last Saturday we had the Derby on until after the race was over.
As for the menu you can look at it for yourself and see if it suits your style.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 08, 2017 8:53 am

GaryF wrote:FWIW, the TV's are almost never turned on- only for special events that most people want to watch, such as basketball games in March and last Saturday we had the Derby on until after the race was over.
As for the menu you can look at it for yourself and see if it suits your style.

Gary, I appreciate your response but I guess maybe what we want to watch versus what others want to watch is different. The last time we were at Equus we were planning a quiet dinner. Instead we entered a restaurant with television blaring in our face and UK fans cheering. Neither of us are basketball fans and didn't even realize there was a UK game (it wasn't yet time for the NCAA tournament). So instead of having a peaceful relaxing dinner we spent well over $100 to sit in a sports bar!!

While I realize things need to change I certainly want the old Equus back.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 pm

I don't eat steak, so am no help there. But I am also frustrated with restaurants that don't include prices on their online menus. I've been tempted lately for a return visit to Vincenzo's (it's been years), but I need to plan my meal budget in advance. They have no prices posted on their website, so I'll look elsewhere for a nice Italian meal.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue May 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Leah S wrote:but I need to plan my meal budget in advance

Unless prices have come down drastically at Vincenzo's, anyone on a "eating out budget" does not need to consider them in the first place. :D
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue May 09, 2017 8:51 pm

http://castironsteak.com

I've not been, but it gets great reviews from my coworkers.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed May 10, 2017 8:13 pm

No, not eating out on a budget. Planning. One of my favorite places is Buck's, and we go there with some regularity. Not a budget venue , but as long as I plan, it fits nicely into our eating out rotation.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed May 10, 2017 8:34 pm

FWIW, both Bucks and Vincenzo's both have groupons right now.
no avatar
User

scott.wade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

by scott.wade » Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Steak Frites are $21 at The Exchange. I have never had them but everything I have gotten there has been excellent.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 11, 2017 7:42 am

scott.wade wrote:Steak Frites are $21 at The Exchange. I have never had them but everything I have gotten there has been excellent.

Seconded. Caffe Classico also does a fine (8 oz) steak frites for $18.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu May 11, 2017 8:45 am

http://mojitotapas.com/

Solomillo al Cabrales – Grilled beef tenderloin topped with Cabrales blue cheese, Spanish port reduction sauce served over roasted mashed potatoes. 10

Tabla de Chimichurri – Grilled skirt steak served with green chimichurri sauce and shredded potato chips. 8
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/