Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Making restaurants more accessible

by Deb Hall » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:39 am

https://insiderlouisville.com/metro/is- ... ccessible/

Interesting article. I did not know there were inexpensive temporary ramps that could be used to make some pre-1990 buildings ( ie lots of buildings in Highlands, Frankfort Avenue, etc) more accessible to more people. Seems like a great option for owners who want to be inclusive, but fear the high cost of some renovations. Love the tripling of the loan amount from Metro to make buildings more accessible, too.

Deb
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Making restaurants more accessible

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:53 pm

It will be interesting to see if this move by Metro government will really help encourage businesses to become accessible, it certainly won't hurt. I'm glad to see that more people are recognizing the need for accessibility and hopefully Metro government will do more to "Convince", businesses to comply. We've obviously run into many of the same difficulties and it certainly interesting to see the attitude of the business owners. Many of them are cooperative, didn't really understand the situation and work towards making their business accessible. Others, name withheld, at times become downright belligerent matter how nice you are to them.

Going through the Human Relations Commission in Metro government is a very frustrating and time-consuming process. I've done it is couple of cases, one worked, one didn't but an individual filing the complaint shouldn't have to jump through many hoops if you do when you file a complaint.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"