Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Food and Wine article on Louisville

by James Natsis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:58 pm

I read this goofy article last night in Food and Wine about, well, ....I'm not really sure. I just kind of scratched my head. I was wondering if anyone else would comment.

Anyway, the C-J must have felt the same way. They published a response (see both links below).

http://www.foodandwine.com/travel/unite ... food-scene

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/li ... /99740242/
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Food and Wine article on Louisville

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:27 pm

I think "goofy" nails it, but then, Food & Wine has never been on my must-read list, perhaps because of stuff like that.

Can't get to the CJ story right now ... it tells me I've read my 10 articles for the month. I'll try later with a different device. ;)
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

by Ryan Rogers » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:12 pm

This is absolutely some of the worst food writing I have seen in a long time. His frame of reference bares no resemblance to the reality that is Louisville, Kentucky and the quirks of our dining scene. Furthermore he completely misses the majority of the restaurants that do openly celebrate the local bounty.
Last edited by Ryan Rogers on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:21 am

Actually, it is some of the WORST writing, period.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 am

Twit lit. Pretentious twaddle. A guy who may or may not have ever been to our fair city, madly in love with his own "way with words."
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:39 am

Heh, even going in forewarned that this piece was going to be bad, this was pretty bad. I will say that there is probably something to be said for the argument that among high-end restaurants, there is a lot of homogeneity in terms of menus. Like, if I were traveling around the country seeing similar items pop up again and again, I might get jaded, too. This is not a Louisville problem, just a bored food writer problem, though.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:42 am

This writer did no research at all- just attended the restaurants that were on the IACP tours. Then he choose to focus on "local foods" without even attempting to go to one of our many local foods restaurants. they are not hard to find- A simple Google search would have yielded many stellar options.

As a long-time subscriber to Food and Wine, this is a huge disappointment. Further exacerbated by the fact that F&W has turned off comments on this article and removed the previous ( negative but polite ) comments on this story that were there several days ago..... :shock: :x