Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Derby Seating Contracts

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Derby Seating Contracts

by Jay M. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm

No shows and party-size changes at Derby time must be serious business. Upon reserving a table for Derby Week THURSDAY ("Thurby") evening for ourselves and out-of-town guests (party = 4), we had to provide a credit card # and we have to sign and return a contract the place emailed to us that includes the following language. We always honor reservations, so this seems a little over the top, but I guess they've been burned..............

From the contract:

• Cancellation Policy:
Cancellations made after midnight on 4/24/17 will result in a $50.00 per person fee provided in this contract. Credit card on file will be automatically charged for all persons less than the final headcount provided by the contracted Host on 4/25/17. Final headcounts are to be given to the Event Sales Coordinator, [XXXXXXX]. Hostesses will not be taking final headcounts or cancellations.

• Guaranteed Guest Count:
If no guaranteed guest count is received by [XXXXX] management by EOD 4/24/17, [XXXXX] management will set for the original guest count estimate. [XXXXX] management cannot ensure additional seating should the actual guest count exceed the guaranteed guest count or room capacity.
Every attempt will be made to accommodate additional guests on a space available basis/ however, it is possible a guest may not be seated or served. By signing the agreement below, the client affirmatively acknowledges it/he/she has been made aware of this disclosure.
no avatar
User

scott.wade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Re: Derby Seating Contracts

by scott.wade » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:37 pm

I have zero problem with this as long as the waiter/waitress is compensated by the restaurant for their missed tip from the no-shows.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:17 am

I agree with Scott, I don't have any problem with this at all. Restaurants historically have many no-shows after Derby and Oaks. Tables that could easily be filled if they had known that people were not going to show up. My wife and I like you always honor our reservations but there are so many people that don't restaurants need to cover their bases.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

I'm surprised that none of the restaurants in town have started to treat Derby reservations as a ticketed event in the style of Alinea/Tock. Seems like a no-brainer given the egregious number of no shows.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:I'm surprised that none of the restaurants in town have started to treat Derby reservations as a ticketed event in the style of Alinea/Tock. Seems like a no-brainer given the egregious number of no shows.

Good point! Maybe everyone is afraid to go first? But if a major player does it, others would probably quickly follow.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Is a ticketed event at a restaurant like a prix fixe menu where you pre pay the meal? That would be a good idea. I'd do that.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:12 am

Paying in advance, particularly in light of the large number of people who book multiple reservations/"no- show" when these seats could be filled. ( A previous company I worked for was hosting international guests for Derby one year, and the Exec in-charge planned to make 3 different reservations each day for Oaks and Derby at different times because they couldn't decide " What time /restaurant would be good". :shock: I spent some time educating them and two reservations were made....)

However, I'm an advance planner, and even to me that cut-off date seems a little excessive: that's 9 days in advance. I don't think the restaurant is going to be out anything, as they'll fill cancellations a couple of days before- I'd suggest a couple of days for the cancellation rule.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Chris M wrote:Is a ticketed event at a restaurant like a prix fixe menu where you pre pay the meal? That would be a good idea. I'd do that.

The ones I have bought tickets to used different approaches. Alinea is prix fixe and then offers alcohol as a add on. Aviary offers different options, prix fixe for X number of drinks or drinks/food or a base ticket price that is applied to the bill.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 am

This subject has been a bone of contention in the biz for YEARS!

There is no magic bullet, however, people need to know that Derby is the Louisville Food Scene's Christmas as far as make it or break it (I've been told this by more chef/owners than I care to count). A good Derby will carry you through the rest of the times.

I've already got my corner barstool "reserved" at a favorite haunt so I can sit back and enjoy the show (particularly on Oaks). Derby day itself is more sedate because that is when the majority of no call/no show cancellations occur.

I'm sure if someone were to take the lead and come up with an airtight policy, the rest would consider following. Hotels do it this time of year, why not restaurants?
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:09 pm

I have seen this policy grow more and more during my time in the restaurant industry here in Louisville. There was a time I can remember that you could count on 10-15% of your reservations for Oaks and Derby no-showing. No matter the reason, restaurants have realized that loosing those seats last minute means that someone on your waitlist is eating somewhere else. At the end of the day butts in the seats will always be more valuable than not. So, if you are not going to show up to service on one of the hardest reservation nights in Louisville, then yes, you should pay the penalty.
Alejandro Magallanez