Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Red Herring to open in Clifton's Hilltop Theater

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 am

Red Herring Cocktail Lounge and Kitchen plans to open in Clifton’s historic Hilltop Theater, 1757 Frankfort Ave., in late April, just before Derby. Owner Brett Davis has hired chef Jacob Coronado and bartender Clay Livingston for the cocktail-focused restaurant. It will feature a menu of 100 “most influential” classic cocktails along with house-crafted recipes. A selection of frozen drinks and adult milkshakes, artisanal wines and regional craft beers will be served.

The food menu will feature dishes meant to enhance the cocktail experience and easily eaten by hand. They include everything from Coronado’s version of pub classic burgers and hot dogs to adventurous dishes utilizing ingredients such as halibut cheeks and chicken skin.

Red Herring will be open from 4 p.m. until 2 a.m. nightly, serving meals until 1 a.m. Menu prices will range from $6 to $10 for cocktails and $15 or less for food. In addition to the regular menu, diners can enjoy a “blue plate” special from 4 until 6 p.m. during the week getting a full meal for less than $10. For more information visit Red Herring on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/Red-Herring-281452328944098/

Davis, a master sommelier, said in a news release, “I am a purist when it comes to the craft of mixing and drinking spirits. The best of the traditional cocktails tend to consist of only 3 prime ingredients and we will embrace this simplicity in our own recipes. Red Herring will provide the city of Louisville a friendly place to enjoy the world of craft cocktails in an atmosphere that reflects the historical significance of the culture.”

According to the news release, the Hilltop Theater, opened in 1915, has been restored by building owner and Davis’ financial partner Mo Deljoo. “Today, the signature 1900s crown molding still lines the ceiling. Red Herring’s interior design provides a midcentury modern feel with accents of vibrant oranges, greens, blues and reds paired with rich grays and browns to showcase the original features, the 3,000-square-foot lounge includes more than 100 seats inside, outside and at the bar. Diners will find 1950s style wallpaper inspired murals commissioned by local artist Monica Mahoney hand painted on the walls.”
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Red Herring to open in Clifton's Hilltop Theater

by RonnieD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:24 pm

How do we know this story isn't a false lead.... :wink:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm

RonnieD wrote:How do we know this story isn't a false lead.... :wink:

The name is a little suspicious! :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
RonnieD wrote:How do we know this story isn't a false lead.... :wink:

The name is a little suspicious! :mrgreen:

Suspicious would be a major understatement!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:18 pm

According to the article on Insider Louisville, the owner invested OVER $1,000,000 into the property. That seems outrageous and just a bad investment in the restaurant biz. When do they hope to break even (considering it stays in business for years)?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 pm

neal.johnson wrote:According to the article on Insider Louisville, the owner invested OVER $1,000,000 into the property. That seems outrageous and just a bad investment in the restaurant biz. When do they hope to break even (considering it stays in business for years)?

I have no idea what's going on with the building, but it's been a very long time coming ... I remember Bim Deitrich's name being floated as the restaurateur a couple of years ago, and the renovation was purportedly complete then. Drop in a little here, a little there, it adds up over time, I guess. Also, no inside info here, but in my reporting days, when developers told me how much they had put into a project, I never believed them. :mrgreen:

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/n ... other.html

https://brokensidewalk.com/2015/hilltop-theater/
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Sounds like it will be very crafty. :D
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:45 am

I've said for years that the old Hilltop would make a great restaurant for the right concept and chef!

Personally, I hope it does well and I will willingly give it it's fair shake!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.