Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

"Double Dog" dare ya....

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

"Double Dog" dare ya....

by Steve P » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 pm

We were "out and about" today and (having skipped lunch) I felt my blood sugar crashing...So we stopped into this new joint on Shelbyville Rd called "Double Dogs"...You know the location; next to Blaze Pizza, Joella's, Liquor Barn, etc, etc, etc...and etc. The SHORT review is that if you like BW3 (or Roosters)....Loud, too many little kids, too many fat-ass adults, huge portions of cheap bar food, 41 (or was it 42) TV's then you will probably like this place...otherwise I'd stay the hell away (as we will in the future). Oh yeah...and 15 bucks (plus $5 tip) for two hot dogs, a swill beer and a diet Coke (felt like I was at the ball park - without the game).
Last edited by Steve P on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: "Double Dog" dare ya....

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:16 pm

You mean you were even able to park somewhere near the place? Every time we spend by there the parking lot was full of people were parking all over the place. Deftly not a place to go to if you don't like crowds or noise and televisions as you mentioned. Not going to be high up on our list.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:21 pm

What he meant to say is if you want to go somewhere to drink beer and watch games in a sports bar like environment with the typical sports bar food, then Double Dogs is a great place. Because they serve a decent burger, wings or hot dog and have lots of TVs loudly showing lots of sports.

And if you are a fuddy duddy, don't like sports or children or families or having fun, then go somewhere that doesn't very clearly and loudly cater to exactly the people looking for that kind of environment. As a public service, also, stay away from Main Event, BW3, HopCat, Roosters, O-Line, Brownie's, or any other sports bar that is exactly like a sports bar.

In other news, if you don't like Chinese food stay away from restaurants with names like Oriental House or Asian Moon. I'm betting you won't like it.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:01 am

Nice alternate review, Chris. :)
no avatar
User

PeteOsborne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm

by PeteOsborne » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:20 am

Chris M wrote:What he meant to say is if you want to go somewhere to drink beer and watch games in a sports bar like environment with the typical sports bar food, then Double Dogs is a great place. Because they serve a decent burger, wings or hot dog and have lots of TVs loudly showing lots of sports.

And if you are a fuddy duddy, don't like sports or children or families or having fun, then go somewhere that doesn't very clearly and loudly cater to exactly the people looking for that kind of environment. As a public service, also, stay away from Main Event, BW3, HopCat, Roosters, O-Line, Brownie's, or any other sports bar that is exactly like a sports bar.

In other news, if you don't like Chinese food stay away from restaurants with names like Oriental House or Asian Moon. I'm betting you won't like it.

It sounds like the perfect place for my fat ass and my kids, where we can avoid overly judgemental curmudgeons.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:13 pm

So why is Double Dog any different than Rooties?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Carla G wrote:So why is Double Dog any different than Rooties?

IMHO:

Rooties: good food, best wings in the city, adequate tv's, older clientele

Double Dog: young clientele, kids, adequate (or less) food, great tv's

Pick your choice
Andrew Mellman