Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We celebrate and highly recommend Tikka House

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 am

We celebrate and highly recommend the Indian joys of Tikka House

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Tikka House’s dry curry of roast lamb with coconut.

I’m pretty sure I have told you before that I love Indian food. Why do I love it? Let me count the ways: It brings bold, bright flavors, that may be as fiery as the gates of hell or as mild as a baby’s kiss, whichever way you like it.

Indian fare draws on a remarkable range of ingredients. It is one of the few culinary traditions that treats carnivores and veggie-vores equally well, offering a vast selection of flavors both meatful and meat-free. Indian chefs are good with rice, but they’re also great hands with bread, particularly delicious flatbreads seared in a fiery tandoori oven. And did I mention those bold, intense aromas that rise from each dish with the sinuous beauty of a snake-charmer’s tune? I think I did.

So, I was sad to hear of the recent closing of Shandaar, a very good Indian eatery that may have struggled to reach critical mass in the far East End. But when one door closes, another opens, so I now celebrate - and highly recommend - Tikka House, recently arrived in the quarters that had long housed Majid’s.

Since the closing of Sitar in the Highlands a few years ago, the metro has been struggling to hold its Indian restaurant census to 10, although this is a far cry from the days when we had to struggle to keep one, and local Indian-food lovers were forced to trek to Cincinnati for a fix during the periods of drought. By any measure, Tikka House’s arrival is doubly welcome since there’s been none in close reach for denizens of the Frankfort Avenue corridor from Clifton to St. Matthews.

Situated in the dining-room side of the old Majid’s - the bar section has given way to a substantial expansion of Paul’s Fruit Market next door - Tikka House has settled in without obvious change beyond Indian tchotchkes, but that’s fine, as casual elegance and white tablecloths, quality flatware and china work just as well for upscale Indian as they did for upscale Persian fare.

Restaurateurs Shree Giri and Manish Shrestha, who say they boast nearly two decades of experience in “five-star restaurant dining,” offer an extensive menu of Indian dishes that represent most corners of the Subcontinent, from the Himalayas and the arid North Indian Punjab through India’s teeming cities to its tropical southern climes.

A daily lunch buffet ($10.99 from 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and $11.99 from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday) offers a good, frequently changing selection that will offer you a quick introduction to the cuisine. (Check Tikka House’s Facebook page to find out what’s on.)

Then come back at dinner to sample a serious Indian repast, with more than 60 main-dish options available ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/celeb ... ikka-house

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Tikka House
3930 Chenoweth Square
749-4535
http://tikkahouselouisville.com
Facebook: http://bit.ly/TikkaHouse
Robin Garr’s rating: 88 points
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: We celebrate and highly recommend Tikka House

by Bill Veneman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 am

I've been several times and I am impressed. Fresh to order Naan is the best.....and the selection on the buffet (which is all I've done...need to get back for dinner) is stellar.

My only complaint is the parking in Chenoweth Square....but, alas, that has been a problem with that center since it was built!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:02 am

Bill Veneman wrote:I've been several times and I am impressed. Fresh to order Naan is the best.....and the selection on the buffet (which is all I've done...need to get back for dinner) is stellar.

It's worth going back for dinner, although I agree that the buffet is worthy.

My only complaint is the parking in Chenoweth Square....but, alas, that has been a problem with that center since it was built!

My problem is more with the drivers who either creep through the lot or race through the lot, and gigantic SUVs that back out of their slot in front of you. I can't say that I've ever had a problem finding a parking space, though, and if it's not right in front of my destination, hey, I get a few more steps. :)
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:20 am

My wife and I finally got around to trying out Tikka House for the first time this past Saturday evening. We arrived around 7:00 and thought they were closed because the parking lot was empty. We walked in and save for a woman paying for takeout, we were the only table in the restaurant. A few other tables trickled in over the dinner but I thought it was strange being the busiest night for dining out and no one around. Either way, our dining experience was outstanding. The service and the food. We had the spicy house special chat, lamb vindaloo, goat rogan josh and the milk cake is wonderful. I just hope they stick around.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:44 am

Well, that's disappointing! I haven't been back recently, but they were crowded every time I've been there.
User

jane.thunderburker

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:19 am

by jane.thunderburker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:48 am

Right, every time I tried to figure out a time it shouldn't be very crowded I came to see everything booked up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ should drop there on a Saturday night I guess
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Maybe because it was the Fourth of July holiday weekend? I was dining elsewhere in the city same night and thought it slow for a Saturday as well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:07 am

We finally made it to Tikka House for the first time for lunch today, when we arrived about 1 pm there were only 3 other patrons over 2 tables but as my son so eloquently likes to put it crowds like to follow where fat people eat with the 3 of us being plus sized by the time we left nearly every table was filled. We really enjoyed our meal and the service was pleasant without being too much.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am

I went to Tikka House for dinner on Wednesday, my first visit in a long time. The food and service were very good, as they were in the past, but I was disappointed to see how slow business was. Between about 6 and 7, there were only two other people eating there (plus a few folks picking up takeout orders). I hope it was just an unusually slow day, because Tikka House deserves to be doing well. I’m going to make it a point to visit more regularly in the future.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:49 am

Good point. I think they're one of the best Indian restaurants in town, and they do particularly well with naan and other breads, in my opinion. That's an element so easy to kiss off that seeing it get attention is a very good sign.