Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:24 am

"If anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving!"
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:44 am

I can't speak re: beer or wine but I'm a better than fair judge on spirits. With the rapid introduction of dozens of fruity flavored vodkas (blech) and now flavor infused rums, distillers have learned that the best way to differentiate their product is by packaging. Notice the proliferation of oddly shaped bottles on the market? It's just another way to justify a jacked up price (ohhhh this looks different , it must be special! Oh yes it IS special it's $65 a bottle, and it's made in Michigan!) It's no new trick of marketing to hide poor quality behind a high price. That is NOT to say that all expensive, wine, beers, spirits (or any product for that matter) that is overpriced is bad; I'm just saying that not all highly priced products merit their price. Having said all that I do believe you get what you pay for, most of the time.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:14 am

carla griffin wrote:I can't speak re: beer or wine but I'm a better than fair judge on spirits. With the rapid introduction of dozens of fruity flavored vodkas (blech) and now flavor infused rums, distillers have learned that the best way to differentiate their product is by packaging. Notice the proliferation of oddly shaped bottles on the market? It's just another way to justify a jacked up price (ohhhh this looks different , it must be special! Oh yes it IS special it's $65 a bottle, and it's made in Michigan!) It's no new trick of marketing to hide poor quality behind a high price. That is NOT to say that all expensive, wine, beers, spirits (or any product for that matter) that is overpriced is bad; I'm just saying that not all highly priced products merit their price. Having said all that I do believe you get what you pay for, most of the time.

Have you had the kaffir lime vodka by Hanger? It tastes exactly like urinal cake. I share your hatred of flavored vodkas.

What are you favorite vodkas, bourbons, rums?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:52 am

Ron Johnson wrote: It tastes exactly like urinal cake.

Okay, I've got to ask. I know you're one of the most adventurous diners on the forum, but please tell us where and under what circumstances you ate urinal cake! :P
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:05 am

Two words: Mardi Gras
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:18 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Two words: Mardi Gras

Great comeback! :D

(Just like Derby, but without the horses ... )
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:19 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Two words: Mardi Gras

You are supposed to use them as pillows, not eat them.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
carla griffin wrote:I can't speak re: beer or wine but I'm a better than fair judge on spirits. With the rapid introduction of dozens of fruity flavored vodkas (blech) and now flavor infused rums, distillers have learned that the best way to differentiate their product is by packaging. Notice the proliferation of oddly shaped bottles on the market? It's just another way to justify a jacked up price (ohhhh this looks different , it must be special! Oh yes it IS special it's $65 a bottle, and it's made in Michigan!) It's no new trick of marketing to hide poor quality behind a high price. That is NOT to say that all expensive, wine, beers, spirits (or any product for that matter) that is overpriced is bad; I'm just saying that not all highly priced products merit their price. Having said all that I do believe you get what you pay for, most of the time.

Have you had the kaffir lime vodka by Hanger? It tastes exactly like urinal cake. I share your hatred of flavored vodkas.

What are you favorite vodkas, bourbons, rums?

Vodkas ; For a true potato vodka I like Monopolowa. For a grain vodka I like Belvedere OK I'm just not a big vodka drinker.
For rums (ooohhh my favorites!) Barbancourt (Haitian and made from sugar cane grown and harvested there on the distillery farm. I also like Mount Gay's sugar cane rum (Barbados) and 10 cane is a good white but a mite overpriced and un-aged.
Bourbons, well I don't drink a great deal of bourbon but I do like Buillet(sp) and really like Wathens.
Being an old lady and rather Eliza Doolittleish I love a good gin. Hendricks is my absolute favorite but usually plain old Beefeasters suits me just fine.

I can't drink tequila anymore I think I used to rim my margaritas with the urinal cakes you were speaking of.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
Previous