Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Funmi’s favors us with Nigerian flavors

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 am

Funmi’s favors us with Nigerian flavors

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Goat meat, asaro and kachumbari slaw at Funmi’s.

What do Americans know about Nigeria? Not much, to be frank, and sadly enough, a lot of what it isn’t good. Beyond Internet scammers with wacky schemes and Boko Haram terrorists, what do we know?

The most populous country in Africa, whose Yoruba culture goes back more than 1,000 years, and one of the world’s top producers of oil, Nigeria boasts coastal cities with glittering office towers and luxury living for the 1 percent. On the other hand, about 70 percent of Nigerians live in extreme poverty.

In other words, it sounds a little bit like Trump’s America! But let’s not go there today. Let’s focus instead on the warm and friendly people of a tropical nation with a hearty cuisine that’s well worth discovering.

Which brings us to Funmi Aderinokun and her crew, who’ve made Funmi’s Restaurant a welcoming place for the rest of us to discover Nigerian food and Nigerian hospitality since they came to Louisville in 2010.

Sunny light yellow, bright pumpkin and pale lavender walls give the small room a tropical feel, with attractive undraped blue-gray tables and a mix of black dinette chairs and simple wooden chairs. Unframed pictures of African scenes add splashes of color. Simple white stoneware plates and flatware wrapped in paper napkins set the tables.

Beverages include Coke products, tea, coffee and lemonade, but you really should try something more African as long as you’re sampling Nigerian goodies. Maltina, a sort of non-alcoholic African beer, is $2.50, but I recommend zobo (also $2.50), a tart-sweet and tangy Nigerian herb tea that may be served hot or cold. It’s good either way.

Funmi’s menu offers a good, quick introduction to the world of Nigerian cuisine, and it does take some introducing, as much of the fare is not widely known in the U.S. Happily, the menu clearly explains the ingredients in each dish, and Funmi and our friendly, helpful server, Lumi, are happy to go into more detail.

It’s a surprisingly extensive bill of fare, covering six menu pages, two of which offer entirely vegetarian and some vegan options. There are about 30 entrees overall, subdivided by the type of starch - and that requires some introduction, as fufu (a staple African dish of yam flour, cassava, corn flour and oat flour); asaro (a mash of potato, plantain and kale); tomato-filled jollof rice, African brown beans, and tuwo (a sort of corn flour mush) aren’t going to be familiar to most of us. All the entrees are closely clustered in price between $12.99 and $16.99.

The Nigerian appetizer combo plate ($9.99) offers a great way to get started, offering generous samples of four Nigerian goodies that you probably never heard of ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/funmi ... an-flavors

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Funmi’s Café
3028 Bardstown Road
454-5009
http://funmiscafe.com
https://facebook.com/funmiscafe
Robin Garr’s rating: 86 points
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

Re: Funmi’s favors us with Nigerian flavors

by TimT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:27 am

70 percent of Nigerians live in extreme poverty.

In other words, it sounds a little bit like Trump’s America!

So why did you go there?

On the other hand, the restaurant does sound like a place I need to go to the next time I am visiting Home. Even though your work has been recently flavored with a $&!t ton of political foolery your palate still calibrates well with what I like to eat. Keep up the good work on that.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:18 pm

TimT wrote:So why did you go there?

Because it's important. #RESIST
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:15 pm

YES! Because absolutely everything has to be politicized! There can be no sanctuary, even for foodies.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

+1
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

+1

+add me as well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Well, all the other stuff aside, this place is fabulous. I wish they weren't tucked into that alleyway and more people knew it was there, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Adam Robinson wrote:Well, all the other stuff aside, this place is fabulous. I wish they weren't tucked into that alleyway and more people knew it was there, though.

Yeah, I'd like it if they were easier to find from the street. To their credit, though, they've held on there well past the point where failed restaurants drop out. Let's keep spreading the word!